Missile Launch Silo Model Query

Started by Cobra, September 28, 2009, 06:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Does Anyone Know if there are Models or Plans for Inground Missile Launch Silos Available????? just a Thought that Struck me and Could use the Input. Thanks for Looking. Dan

pyro-manic

I'm not sure if there are any models, but it's the kind of thing that would be fun to bash together from "found" objects.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Jeffry Fontaine

Try one of the many search engines available to you on the internet and use the search term ICBM Silo or Missile Silo and see what you find.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

lancer

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on September 28, 2009, 09:32:21 PM
Try one of the many search engines available to you on the internet and use the search term ICBM Silo or Missile Silo and see what you find.

CIA, NSA, MIB's FBI all camping on your doorstep... :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Steel Penguin

theres a diagram of the proposed Blue Streak silo in the book Cold war by Cockcroft and Thomas, published by English heratige, ( get it via inter libary loan in the UK)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

philp

Are you thinking for model rocketry or for static display?  
If static, search Minuteman or Atlas missiles under the Image search and you will find a bunch.  The Malmstrom AFB museum has a cutaway on display as does the Ft Douglas Museum.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Nick

The USAF SIG had a pair of missile silos at SMW08 or 07 as part of their grand display. I don't have pics of this but somebody out there does. IIRC these were in 1/72 and were huge!

Cobra

i was planning a Static Display, kinda like ones Featured in the James Bond Film 'Diamonds are Forever'!!! Hope i'm not sounding like a Nutter for asking.

ChernayaAkula

EnglishRussia.com (cool site, btw! :thumbsup:) has a photo-tour of an abandoned SS-18 LAUNCH COMPLEX. Maybe these are of a little help.

EnglishRussia actually has a lot to offer for the whiffer inclined to Soviet/Russian stuff, with photo-tours (deliberately not using "walk-around") of underground submarine bases, SAM launch complexes, defense expos, trips round aircraft museums, abandoned aircraft or Soviet posters and stuff that may come in handy for dioramas! Za rodina, Comrade!  :drink:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Howard of Effingham

Quote from: Nick on September 29, 2009, 02:29:27 PM
The USAF SIG had a pair of missile silos at SMW08 or 07 as part of their grand display. I don't have pics of this but somebody out there does. IIRC these were in 1/72 and were huge!

i remember them.

seem to recall that they had to be positioned between table ends to get them to fit anywhere on the display.
Keeper of George the Cat.

Hawkeye

Having been in and around Minuteman ICBM sites, the tube itself is pretty blah. The walls could be made from a piece of PVC pipe, cut in several doors, typically on each level, larger ones where the guidance unit section is, some wire runs down the wall that carry cables. The missile btw isn't a pretty gloss white with all those decals like you see on display at museums and bases. NMF with a preservative to protect the surface from mold/mildew/fungus as well as corrosion. The nose is made from a ceramic material and has a light lime green coloration (from what I remember). It is subject to high friction/temps going up and returning to earth.

You might be able to find images on the af.mil website. Many of the photos are unclassified, usually they stage photos for PR purposes. Or even Google where I found these by search Minuteman missile silo.
Gerald Voigt
http://www.hawkeyeshobbies.com
Its not the workbench that makes the model, it is the modeler at the workbench.