Mil Helicopters H-44 Hook (Mi-6 WHIF)

Started by Stargazer, September 25, 2009, 07:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and you'll get to know a little bit more about me in the following topic...

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25109.msg380730.html#msg380730

I would like to share with you a set of fakes I did using the Soviet Mil Mi-6 helicopter in U.S. markings. One is a U.S. Coast Guard rescue helicopter, the second one is a U.S. Marines transport, while the third one is a specially-modified version for U.S. Navy as a drone-director helicopter! For the sake of designating them, I suggest using the as-yet undocumented "H-44" DoD designation (which we know refered to a USAF "project Big Tom") and assume that the large helicopter could be that "big Tom", evaluated by the U.S. after a squadron of them deserted from the East. In my scenario, the USAF would be leading the project and share the evaluation of the six prototypes with the other armed forces. So from top to bottom we have: the U.S.C.G. YHH-44D, the U.S.M.C. YCH-44B, and the sole U.S. Navy YDH-44C. I haven't done the Air Force's "A" version but will do so eventually... Hope you like these!

Taiidantomcat

That is sweet!  :wub: Any chance of doing some with the HALO?
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

JayBee

WOW!!!!!!!! :wub:

I am totally gobsmacked with those. Not just the ability with whatever photo editing software you use, but more by the imagination behind it. :thumbsup:

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Hobbes

This is one of those things that just makes sense, to the point where I wonder why it hasn't happened for real.

nev

Outstanding piece of photoshopping :wub:

Like TT says, US Army Mi-26s is quite plausible - they are almost as ubiquitous to Afghanistan as the Huey was to Vietnam.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

dy031101

I found the USMC one especially to my liking......  :cheers:

Can a .50 cal. MG be fitted to the navigator's nose glazing?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

royabulgaf

IIRC, one or two civil Mi-6s made it to the us in the 70s. 
The Leng Plateau is lovely this time of year

Stargazer

Thanks to you all for the excellent welcome! I'm so glad that you appreciate my work, and to show you my gratitude, allow me to treat this forum with a fake I did especially for you all this evening: a USCG Mil Mi-26 "Halo"!

This one carries the H-69 designation, which is said in official documents to have been skipped because the number is evocative of sexual practices... (did you buy that story? well I DIDN'T...) Anyway, I've used it and here's the CH-69A Halo (great name for a... helo...). Hope you'll enjoy looking at it as much as I did doing it!

famvburg

Indeed, PHI - Petroleum Helicopters Inc. had one or two. They were soon grounded due to support difficulties.

Quote from: royabulgaf on September 25, 2009, 02:29:03 PM
IIRC, one or two civil Mi-6s made it to the us in the 70s. 

famvburg

Hmm, how about either or both, ex-military, used in the forest firefighting role?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.