Do Soviet helos need a grey underside?

Started by Nick, September 24, 2009, 04:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Struggling to work this out for my Mi-28 Soviet GroupBuild project. I've got plenty of ideas regarding the brown/green camouflge for the top and sides but it's the underneath I can't understand.

Some Soviet helicopters have a light grey underside obvious in photos. In other pictures the camouflage appears to extend all the way around. What would the general rule be for a late 80's attack helo?

chrisonord

I have done some of mine grey underneath and some air superiority blue underneath but ... this is whatiff, so why not a wrap round lizard type camo?
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

RotorheadTX

In the Havoc images I have, only the aircraft that debuted at the Paris Air Show has the blue/grey underside; all the others show a wrap-around camouflage scheme.

Army of One

With some of the research I did for my current project IMHO think you could get away with either or......
BODY,BODY....HEAD..!!!!

IF YER HIT, YER DEAD!!!!

Nick

I think you guys are right. It's probably something simple like what the Regimental Commander wants them to have that month!

An all-round camo scheme is much easier.

Mossie

I'll stick me tuppenth in & say that operationally, Soviet helicopters nearly always had a seperate underside colour, especially in the eighties.  It's only in recent years that that's changed & it's mostly on demonstrators, not aircraft in the field.

Tying down colours on Soviet aircraft & helicopters particularly is difficult.  If there was a standard, it was very complex.  Different types would receive different colours.  Even between type, the indivdual shade might vary.  On the undersides, it's generally a pale blue (which can look grey in certain conditions) or a deeper azure shade during the eighties.  A pale grey is sometimes used, but is less common.  As far as the model goes, you could go with pretty much any colours as being a new type, it might well wear a different shade to others.

If you want to go with wraparound though, go for it! :thumbsup:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.