JML Aviation/ Honduras Air Force A-47 Pantera

Started by chrisonord, September 22, 2009, 11:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

The Honduras air force awarded another contract to JML Aviation for a multi mission turbo prop powered aircraft, one which, like the others could be easily maintained, use a variety of current U.S and European ordnance, and be based on an existing airframe.
JML looked hard to find more F-84 and Ouragan airframes, but non were forth coming, so back to the drawing board on that one.
JML also did a lot of restoration of WW2 aircraft for private collectors and museums, and one of the aircraft that had recently come in for a complete strip down and rebuild was a Republic P-47N. This gave the design team an idea, why not copy the fuselage and wings of the P-47N, using modern materials and electronics, and a modern Turbo prop engine.
A mock up model was drawn out and the idea put forward to the Honduras air force, with the idea that the air force would be getting a "new" build aircraft but with familiar avionics, engines and flight systems the Air force were very keen on their "new" aircraft.
The original P-47N was stripped down and all the relevant parts, copied and reproduced in newer stronger and lighter materials.
The day arrived to roll out the YA-47 Pantera as it will be called in Honduras service, and the Honduras representatives were gob smacked at the sheer size of the aircraft compared to most of their other single engine prop planes. The test pilot, took the aircraft out on its second flight, this time with a simulated maximum configured weapon load, including ammunition for its 2 25 mm cannon. The aircraft performed much better than expected and impressed its new owners the Honduran's completely.

The kit is the Heller 1/72nd scale P-47N thunderbolt, slightly modified with an aeroclub Westland  Wyvern contra prop, tricycle landing gear,more modern main landing gear wheels, an ejector seat and a pair of cannon pods that came from a BF-109. The exhaust nozzle is from a Harrier.
The weapon load is somewhat conservative with a load out of 6 freefall bombs, 2 rocket pods, 2 cannon pods and a pair of sidewinders.
Here is some pictures for you.

The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Arc3371

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Sisko

Very very cool :thumbsup:

Great conversion and wonderful camo to boot! :bow:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Weaver

Nice one!  :thumbsup: Love the idea of using the Harrier exhaust nozzle for a turoprop. :thumbsup:

Arn't the inboard bombs a tad close to the rocket pods?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

Love the idea, Chris - the harrier vent for a turbine exhaust is pretty nifty and cool.  The camo looks good, and overall I love the Super Jug you have here.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Wyrmshadow

It looks like the rocket pods are directly below the innermost freefall bomb??
Likes to re-invent the wheel
http://1wyrmshadow1.deviantart.com/

chrisonord

The bombs do actually clear the rocket pods, as the rocket pods are on a longer pylon, it does make it look like they are in the way.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Ed S

Great idea. I like the camo on this.  Looks good.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

ChernayaAkula

VEry cool build! :thumbsup: Both the lay-out and the camo!
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

pyro-manic

That's good stuff. :) Adding a spinner to these big radials always makes them look better, and that camouflage is lovely.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

ALVAMA

Победим! Неповиновение! Время пришло! хочешь мира, готовься к войне. ты морячка я моряк

sideshowbob9

Anything Republic related and/or with contra-props gets my vote.  :thumbsup:

sandiego89

Well done, anything with counter rotating props gets my attention.  Good idea. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Stargazer

A very credible and carefully executed project. Well done! I would love to see three-view drawings of that beast...