Animal Whiffs?

Started by philp, September 21, 2009, 10:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Ok, not what you were thinking (I hope  :blink:) but found these while looking at some pics from ROCON.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

JayBee

I have always liked a Sharkmouth on an aeroplane :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Weaver

Love the P-40.... ;D

Probably appropriate to remind folk of this thread:

http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,25673.0.html
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sequoiaranger

At one time I had fantasized what I call "organic weapons" that could be grown from embryo "genetically altered" to produce kind of a "cyborg". That is,  a gigantic "whale", for instance, would be genetically induced to "produce" a functioning aircraft carrier within its back, and the "nerve center" of the "animal" would be the bridge and its human commanders. Orders from the "occupying" humans would be organically translated into the proper neuro-transmitters to guide motion (like DON'T submerge---EVER!). I never made any models of my concepts, but thought about it. Where do I get a three-foot-long whale model to embed a 1/700 aircraft carrier??  :huh:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

I think you'll struggle!  You can get hold of models of whales, but they're usually less than a foot long.  Schleich do several whales & I think one line about is over a foot & they're pretty realistic considering they're sold as toys.  You can find scientifc models, but they tend to be small & expensive.  I'm sure I've seen some toys that are pretty large (around 18" to 2') but they look pretty much like, well, toys.

Would one of these genetically modified beast just resemble a whale?  You could use that mouldable plastic stuff (shape lock) to make a rough whale shape?  Either that, or clay might be useful.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

philp

Found a couple more over on Hyperscale.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sequoiaranger

"My" vision in the plastic flesh!!! :party:

Funny to see a Mossie canopy on a "Stuka". Gives the "sharkmouth" motif some "bite", eh?
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Ed S

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 25, 2009, 05:54:14 AM
At one time I had fantasized what I call "organic weapons" that could be grown from embryo "genetically altered" to produce kind of a "cyborg". That is,  a gigantic "whale", for instance, would be genetically induced to "produce" a functioning aircraft carrier within its back, and the "nerve center" of the "animal" would be the bridge and its human commanders. Orders from the "occupying" humans would be organically translated into the proper neuro-transmitters to guide motion (like DON'T submerge---EVER!). I never made any models of my concepts, but thought about it. Where do I get a three-foot-long whale model to embed a 1/700 aircraft carrier??  :huh:

Sci Fi writer Harry Harrison used some ideas like this in his novel "West of Eden".  You might check and see if you can find a copy at the library or a used book store or Amazon and give it a quick read for ideas.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Taiidantomcat

That is so incredibly clever  :wub:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Weaver

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 25, 2009, 05:54:14 AM
Where do I get a three-foot-long whale model to embed a 1/700 aircraft carrier??  :huh:

Could always use a smaller whale and either a smaller-scale CV/CVN or a smaller CV in 1/700th......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones