Fairchild-Republic A-24 Thunderchief II

Started by Atlantis, September 20, 2009, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantis

I conceived this aircraft originally as an Aliens/ Halo - style dropship way back in 8th grade. It evolved over the years into a heavy ground/anti-shipping attack aircraft, which using as the subject for my design project for my Intro to CAD class. I conceived it as a stealthy replacement for the A-10 and A-6 intruder. Like the Lockheed F-35, it has three different versions, CTOL for the AF, Carrier take of and landing for the Navy, and V/STOL for the Marines. I actually built this model around two years ago but just now got around to finishing it. It's a 100% cardstock scratchbuild and the decals are from the Italeri A-6 kit, which I'm whiffing into an alternate Shuttle Trainer Aircraft.   

Sauragnmon

Holy beefy bird, that looks pretty damn wicked, man!
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

chrisonord

I really like that :thumbsup:
That would fit into my SHADO themed builds, Have you used any plans to build this or is it grey matter grown. This is an excellent scratch build aircraft, and I would love to be able to build something of this quality.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Atlantis

It's all grey matter grown. However, I will be using it to make a pattern for my CAD model.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

chrisonord

Quote from: Atlantis on September 20, 2009, 03:29:46 PM
It's all grey matter grown. However, I will be using it to make a pattern for my CAD model.
Nice one, if you make some plans for it I would be interested thats for sure
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Stargazer

Wow. The type looks pretty mean! However, there is one inconsistancy: Fairchild-Republic ceased to exist after the T-46A debacle. Don't know who owns their assets now, but it has to be either Boeing or Northrop Grumman, who else?

Brian da Basher

Very nice indeed, Atlantis! Your treatment of the panels is an excellent compliment to the somewhat boxy shape of this bird!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Atlantis