Rynocore R170 Baboon (Or A Tale Of Two Hellcats)

Started by puddingwrestler, September 17, 2009, 02:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

QuoteThe Rynocore R170 Baboon is an obsolete exo-atmospheric fighter produced in large numbers during the second union war. The R170 was designed for carrier use, and thus makes efficient use of a compact shape. The type was retired from ConfedNavy service over thirty years ago, with some reserve units retaining their machines for a further ten years. Since then, the R170 has become a popular choice with minor navies and criminal elements due to it's robust nature and low cost.

From The Starfighter Spotter's Guide, 2605 edition.

The Rynocre R170 Baboon started life as a crazy idea inspired by a picture I saw on the Conceptships Blog, and the squat and dumpy nature of the Grumman Wildcat. Armed with a three view and photoshop, I created a sort of digital concept sketch while watching over my year twelve media class (they where doing something which didn't need much active teaching at the time) with a watchful eye.

Then I ordered a pair fo Academy Wildcats in 72nd scale. And scrounged another from eBay (because I could!). Then the Wildcats arrived and turne out to be Hellcats. I'm sure I ordered Wildcats, but I am not complaining, the Hellcat kits are nicer and cost more; yet I was charged at the Wildcat rate. Huzzah! Then other projects and a sinus infection got in the way...
And I turned the Wildcat into this:

Then on Tuesday morning I decided it was high time I built something, so the Hellcats came out of their box, and onto the bench, where I proceeded to torture them.

Note gratuitous differences between original concept and partial build. I'm replacin the rocket pods with side mounted intakes, weapons will now be big podded cannons. I think itll have twin fixed (possibly spatted) nose gear, and a tail gear mounted to the drop tank. (Yes, I know this makes no sense) It will possibly be mounted on a dioramic dispaly base depicting the insides of a Pirate hanger or some such, but I am not yet sure.
It will certainly be short and tall and squat and ugly and odd looking, and certainly not aerodynamic or capable of flight. This is a great advantage of designing a machine which will nto be built for over five hundred years. I can just assume they have worked out anti gravity drives by then :thumbsup:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

But that's just silly!  :o

Nice one - keep right on as you are....... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

BlackOps

PW, this is way cool! Looking forward to watching it progress  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

jcf

Doc Yo

Oh, mercy, this is going to be entertaining. The Wildcat build encourages me to take a stab at something
I'm going to call " Stipa Triumphant "...

puddingwrestler

Quote from: Doc Yo on September 17, 2009, 01:08:04 PM
Oh, mercy, this is going to be entertaining. The Wildcat build encourages me to take a stab at something
I'm going to call " Stipa Triumphant "...

Oh dear...

The wildcat (Or Zoltan Z.1 Hogshead) is jet propelled, but from that angle, iot could well be a huge annular wing ducted thingee (or whatever the technical term for the Caproni Stipa may be... apart from daft  :thumbsup:)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Tophe

:wub: :wub: :wub: for the past Wildcat
and for the forthcoming Hellcat project:
:wub:
:wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PanzerWulff

I like how its coming along can't wait to see more :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Uh Oh He said SPATS where's Brian!!!
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!