Rynocore R170 Baboon (Or A Tale Of Two Hellcats)

Started by puddingwrestler, September 17, 2009, 02:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

QuoteThe Rynocore R170 Baboon is an obsolete exo-atmospheric fighter produced in large numbers during the second union war. The R170 was designed for carrier use, and thus makes efficient use of a compact shape. The type was retired from ConfedNavy service over thirty years ago, with some reserve units retaining their machines for a further ten years. Since then, the R170 has become a popular choice with minor navies and criminal elements due to it's robust nature and low cost.

From The Starfighter Spotter's Guide, 2605 edition.

The Rynocre R170 Baboon started life as a crazy idea inspired by a picture I saw on the Conceptships Blog, and the squat and dumpy nature of the Grumman Wildcat. Armed with a three view and photoshop, I created a sort of digital concept sketch while watching over my year twelve media class (they where doing something which didn't need much active teaching at the time) with a watchful eye.

Then I ordered a pair fo Academy Wildcats in 72nd scale. And scrounged another from eBay (because I could!). Then the Wildcats arrived and turne out to be Hellcats. I'm sure I ordered Wildcats, but I am not complaining, the Hellcat kits are nicer and cost more; yet I was charged at the Wildcat rate. Huzzah! Then other projects and a sinus infection got in the way...
And I turned the Wildcat into this:

Then on Tuesday morning I decided it was high time I built something, so the Hellcats came out of their box, and onto the bench, where I proceeded to torture them.

Note gratuitous differences between original concept and partial build. I'm replacin the rocket pods with side mounted intakes, weapons will now be big podded cannons. I think itll have twin fixed (possibly spatted) nose gear, and a tail gear mounted to the drop tank. (Yes, I know this makes no sense) It will possibly be mounted on a dioramic dispaly base depicting the insides of a Pirate hanger or some such, but I am not yet sure.
It will certainly be short and tall and squat and ugly and odd looking, and certainly not aerodynamic or capable of flight. This is a great advantage of designing a machine which will nto be built for over five hundred years. I can just assume they have worked out anti gravity drives by then :thumbsup:
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Weaver

But that's just silly!  :o

Nice one - keep right on as you are....... :wacko:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

BlackOps

PW, this is way cool! Looking forward to watching it progress  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

jcf

Doc Yo

Oh, mercy, this is going to be entertaining. The Wildcat build encourages me to take a stab at something
I'm going to call " Stipa Triumphant "...

puddingwrestler

Quote from: Doc Yo on September 17, 2009, 01:08:04 PM
Oh, mercy, this is going to be entertaining. The Wildcat build encourages me to take a stab at something
I'm going to call " Stipa Triumphant "...

Oh dear...

The wildcat (Or Zoltan Z.1 Hogshead) is jet propelled, but from that angle, iot could well be a huge annular wing ducted thingee (or whatever the technical term for the Caproni Stipa may be... apart from daft  :thumbsup:)
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

JoeP

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Tophe

:wub: :wub: :wub: for the past Wildcat
and for the forthcoming Hellcat project:
:wub:
:wub:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

PanzerWulff

I like how its coming along can't wait to see more :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Uh Oh He said SPATS where's Brian!!!
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!