New Zealand roundels

Started by thedarkmaster, September 12, 2009, 06:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedarkmaster

Have some of the fern leaf style New Zealand roundels to put on a kit. Does anyone know how the placement works in relation to the fern leaf ? i.e. which way does it face on the wings and fueselage etc.

thanks

TIM
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Geoff

IIRC the leaf always goes to the right. You might want to check that though.

Mossie

I recentley got hold of the Airfix 1/72 Canberra B(I).8, the decal instructions confirm Geoffs comment, the leaf always curves to the right.  So on the LHS, tip curls to the tail, RHS, to the nose.  On the wings, base of the leaf to trailing edge, tip to leading edge.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

thedarkmaster

Thanks lads thats great  ;D  ;D  ;D

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Green Dragon

Kind of a hijack here but what about the later Kiwi bird markings? I assume the fuselage ones face toward the nose but which way do I point the beaks on the wings? (or have I gone horribly wrong already!)

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

thedarkmaster

I have seen contridictory photos of new zealand aircraft with the nose towards the way of travel and with the nose towards the fueselage so not sure  :huh:  :huh:

rickshaw

The Kiwi roundels like the 'Roo ones of the RAAF always have their beak pointed to the nose of the aircraft.  The ones on the wings are "handed" as well, with their feet towards the fuselage of the aircraft.
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Mossie

Quote from: thedarkmaster on September 12, 2009, 09:13:32 AM

I have seen contridictory photos of new zealand aircraft with the nose towards the way of travel and with the nose towards the fueselage so not sure  :huh:  :huh:

Hmm, dunno.  I guess it's possible that there was more than orientation.  You'd be limited to your decals too & the way they are printed.

Found a pic on Airliners.net, which backs up the 'lean to the right'.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/New-Zealand--/English-Electric-Canberra/0270829/L/&sid=2313b5e2d980422b8a7be6ab32a33e44
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

sequoiaranger

As far as I could research, the Kiwi beak always points forward (slightly down, actually) no matter where it is on the aircraft. The Kiwi on the hidden right fuselage points forward, too. See example, below:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

GTX

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 15, 2009, 04:38:01 PM
As far as I could research, the Kiwi beak always points forward (slightly down, actually) no matter where it is on the aircraft. The Kiwi on the hidden right fuselage points forward, too. See example, below:

You can't get away like that - we demand more details on the above shown model!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

sequoiaranger

>You can't get away like that - we demand more details on the above shown model!!!<

Glad to oblige! The "Avatar" was the first model I had built in some 22 years (completed last year). I was a prolific modeler in the 1980's, but my kids grew up to school age and...well, things just got too complicated. There is a thread here, buried deep in the "Current and Finished Projects" thread, that shows the stages of construction, etc., but I also did a nice article for IPMS Seattle's newsletter that has the full backstory and additional color photos at:

http://www.ipms-seattle.org/newsletters/2009Newsletters/2009January.pdf      (Page 3+)

The "short" version is that the Avatar was a dowdy super-Defiant with a four-gun turret below as well as above, thereby "curing" the Defiant's weakness of no frontal or lower defense. It was initially designed as a "trench-strafer" for fighting WW I again twenty years later. Eventually used as a "Spooky"-type gunship strafing ground troops while flying in banked circles. Check out the "mad cow" emblem (easily seen in the article above) whose four-teat udder resembles the ball-turret below the Avatar. The 1/72 model was quite a conglomeration and required lots of "engineering", but is based on a highly-modified 1/96 FROG Lancaster.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

GTX

Thanks - love it!!!!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!