Proditor's Perpetually unfinished Navies

Started by proditor, September 07, 2009, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proditor

Yeah, I can never quite get, well, anything finished.  I'm currently going to blame my lack of an airbrush.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, throw in the getting married in 3 weeks excuse too.   ;D

But without further adieu...

The fleet, a few quick pics of most of them.

I'll break things up in a couple of posts for the individual ships.

proditor

This one is the HMS Tiger through the years.  I wanted to see what i could do to keep the ship "current".  I love the hull, and I got lucky in getting a few of the kits for uber-cheap.  After that it was Skywave sprues to the rescue!

Top: OOB more or less.
Middle: 1970's OTO Melara upgrade and refurbishing.
Bottom: Sailing into a new century with VLS and Phalanx!

proditor

Battleship Row.

Top: HMS KGV converted to a modified Commando Carrier a la the Tinian
Middle: HMS Rodney in her Falklands War fit, shortly before she sank the Belgrano.
Bottom: USS Wisconsin after full hybrid and zero-timing in 2005.

proditor

The Three little PiGG's.  Inspired by James Cobb's armed and armored little Hoverdemons, I whacked these together for the armored group build before i realized they really didn't fit.  At some point they'll be really finished, but putting on the 1/700 hellfires is a pain.  ;)

proditor

Last one for now, 4 shots of the ship that breaks my heart; my flight deck Spruance.  I started it too late to finish for the Coast Guard build, and it's just languished ever since.  I look at it at least once a week and think "I should finish that, it's just too pretty."  But then something else comes up, and it sits there sadly collecting dust.  Sigh.

ChernayaAkula

^ Damn, but that IS pretty! :wub: You really do need to finish that one! And it'll look even better in colour and fitted out with lots of orange helos.

Quote from: proditor on September 07, 2009, 05:30:17 PM
Battleship Row.

Top: HMS KGV converted to a modified Commando Carrier a la the Tinian
Middle: HMS Rodney in her Falklands War fit, shortly before she sank the Belgrano.
Bottom: USS Wisconsin after full hybrid and zero-timing in 2005.

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:   :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Especially like the updated Rodney! EPIC!

Those hovercraft are pretty cool, too!  :wacko:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Sauragnmon

wow, hell of a fleet you have there - looking forward to more pics - you gotta show us some more angles and get intimate with the fleet, man... I'm loving the Battleship Row though - love what you did to Nelson's C-Turret - just can't help but think what you could have done to the magazine though, all that space...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Captain Canada

"That's alotta ships, man ?!"

Very cool. Have to agree that the flight deck Spruance is wicked ! I'm guessing you'll start working on her in about 3 weeks time, as that's about the time you'll stop getting any 'action' !

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Mossie

Great fleet!  Rodeny looks fantastic & I love the Falklands War scenario you've got for her.  Gotta love a battleship confrantation in the 80's!

I'm really enjoying this new child board, it's seems to breeding interest.  I don't know a lot about ships & I'm learning a lot.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Joe C-P

You must finish the through-deck Spruance; that is a fine piece of work!

Your best bet is to do what I did - pick two or three and put them on the bench and don't swap them out until you finish!  ;D

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Sauragnmon

It risks the catch of becoming burned out, but it does help to just sit down and persist until you push through it, when it comes to demanding them finished.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

proditor

First off, thanks to everyone for the kind words.  :)

The current "plan" is to do the following.  Finish major component construction by the end of October (Post honeymoon, and life should be settling down a little) and then consider the possibilities of casting a few hulls for myself.  I really love this design and I wanted to do at least two; One in CG colors, and the other as Haze Gray, but with a unique airwing.

These: http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/F-104VTOLPage.htm

I have the tiny f-104's and a slew of thin plastic.   ;)

As to more pics, sure I can throw a few more out there.  The Rodney seems like a hit, so I'll post my other pic, an overhead.

The loadout was 6x16" cannons, 2 Goalkeepers (Okay, so it was really right after the Falklands), 4x4.5" DP guns, 2x6 cell seawolf, 6 Tomahawk Box Launchers, 4x4 Harpoon Cannisters.  Yes, it's a floating Rambo movie...

I'm glad no one noticed what I did to poor HMS Hood...

If there any other shots you guys want to see, I'll try and accomodate.

On to the advice, yes, my plan is to hunker down with the Spruance and my 4 Superhero miniature conversions, and just get the darn things done.  I'm hoping once I clear the logjam, I'll find some will to finish my 40k stuff and all of the other ships.

Sauragnmon

Very interesting layout, I'd love to see a nice full battery of swing-around-the hull shots on that Rodney, and are those ABLs on your Hood?  Shots of the Hood would be good too.  A nice elevated angle stern shot of the Commando KGV might be good too.  Let's get intimate with some of those converted battleships, take a few shots around the hulls, give us a visual tour of each of them.  Beautiful stuff so far.

proditor

There will be more pics soon, but I puttered around a little more tonight and started construction of a South American CVL.  Nothing to show yet, just imagine you're building the Dragon/Pit-Road Independence, and you're mostly with me so far.  ;)

B777LR

You may want to learn how to use the paintbrush before getting married, coz once SWMBO gets into you'r life... ;)

http://whatifmodelers.wikia.com/wiki/SWMBO