Looking For Input

Started by Leigh, March 03, 2004, 04:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh

I consider myself still very much a beginner, and usually build straight out of the box, but I've kinda reached a stall with alot of things I've started because i'm recovering from a broken ankle and can't get down the four flights of stairs to my workshop to spray. So I'm limited to wot I can do at the kitchen table and with a spray can on the balcony.
Figured I'd mess around with this Airfix Jag which I bought for sentimental reasons and thought was gonna be a piece of crap to build.
First thing I've done is my first attempt at scribing panel lines, I just used a straight edge and the raised lines as a guide with combo of exacto knife and dental picks filed to a triangular point like a fish hook.Prime and sand. This was followed by pre-shading them with a regular sharpie then sanding the whole thing with 1000 grit to remove any excess ink. Then used my finest pick to clean out the lines resulting in super crisp black lines, that I was worried were gonna become Matchbox trenches. It's now drying from a can of automotive primer. What I thought was gonna be a dog is turning out nice with alot of effort and some courage.
So I've got some USAF 357th tactical squadron decals from an old A7 and am thinking of this paint scheme

dons color

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

John Howling Mouse

Me likey the idea.

And good for you trying out this stuff.  You may be down but you're not out.

(btw: for panel lines around compound curves, I use a short length of Dymo ™marking tape as a scribing edge)
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Go for it, Leigh !

Jaguars rule !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JoeP

Welcome to the world of what-if!

As you're discovering, if you want to get good at something, you have to try it first, and learn by doing. Keep it up! You'll (hopefully  ^_^ ) find that you enjoy the hobby even more as you try new things.

Hope to see your project come to fruition in photos here someday.

JoeP, one of the shippies
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

The Rat

Go for it. After being away from the scene for decades I've started up again, and realized that in the 'What if' world modeling isn't just fun, but FUN!!!
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Leigh

K I kinda fixed the canopy screw up, so I'm ready to paint, question is would this camo scheme be hard lines, or faded in?
Go up to link on first post

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

nev

The Euro I scheme on the A-10 had a soft sprayed edge to the camo.  And very mean it looked too :)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Leigh

K I painted it in Tamiya Acrylics with an airbrush both a first for me, finally got round to getting a badger 150 no more spray cans for me.
Anyway just got done decaling and the micro sol/ water has left some water marks. Also got some dust/ lint on it how do i clean it up before I bung a coat of future then dullcote. Usually i'd wipe down with some alcohol but I'm worried about the paint and will water get the stains out or will they not notice under the future?

In future should i gloss it before decaling?

By the way she looks pretty sweet and has restored my faith in Airfix, which is good 'cos i got a Lancaster and a Vulcan in the stash that have been scaring me.

Leigh's Models

Aircav

Vulcans................................................................................ummmmmmmmm
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

lancer

QuoteVulcans................................................................................ummmmmmmmm
I'll second that sentiment...............Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

(joimtly responsible for the 4 Vulcans of the VDT on last years SMW display)  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Captain Canada

Yeah, do up that Vulcan ! We need a feature article on them here......

And quit the cop-out about the ankle and stair
routine...just hop on one foot, man !

:lol:  ;)
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

QuoteIn future should i gloss it before decaling?
ALWAYS gloss before decaling :)

The decals settle down much better on a nice smooth glossy surface.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Leigh

Ok as requested the finished product, my first rescribe and my first airbrush job. I've not posted it before because I've only had access to a camera recently.

Leigh's Models

Allan

Hi Leigh,

Your plane looks perfectly fine to me. Good work.

You asked about the sharpened sprue method.

This is for making squiggly patches on the wings and fuselage or anywhere else for that matter.

Take a piece of sprue comfortably long and sharpen one end to a point.

Dip the sharpened end into your paint and then squiggle it over the surface of the plane.

Have a go and then post us the results.

See ya,

Allan in Canbera

Captain Canada

Groovy baby !

Love that camo...too sweet !

:wub:

Now that your foot excuse is long gone, production should be ramped up, eh ?

;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?