Airspeed AS-31C weird twin-boom canard

Started by Tophe, September 06, 2009, 03:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

As I am injured, unable  >:( to operate the hard-work on my 1/32 GP-38, while having a few days off ;D , I will (try to) build my Unicraft 1/72 Airspeed AS.31 (http://www.geocities.com/unicraftmodels/on/as31/as31.htm ). Well, this incredible plane with a remote cockpit is what-if enough in itself but (you know me :blink: ) I cannot help increasing the "impossible" side of it, the perfect project having already been built by a better modeller than me (http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/AIRSPEED%20AS31%20PAGE.htm )...
So, as I lack room, the wing tips will be cut and turned fins at wing tips... And most of all, the way (and cockpit pod) will be reverted into a canard (pusher if I don't discard the propeller blades and the wheels, probably I will)...
Crazy? :blink: Yes I am. Just having fun ;D , enriching the AS.31 family, comforting the main one feeling so lonely... :blink:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Tophe

ups, the truncated wing should appear on the view from above...
Corrected:

Barry Krell

Nice idea, the only snag being that your airfoil will be the wrong way round!
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

Tophe

Quote from: Barry Krell on September 06, 2009, 06:06:53 AM
Nice idea, the only snag being that your airfoil will be the wrong way round!
Dear Barry, you are absolutely right technically, in our material World, but in my (special :blink:) universe, you just have to push a switch and the Pressure-Speed law (producing lift) is reverted around you, through antimatter and patented secrets... So the opposite airfoil is even better. What-if I was not (completely) crazy? ;D

ElectrikBlue

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on September 06, 2009, 03:46:53 AM
a canard (pusher if I don't discard the propeller blades and the wheels, probably I will)...
Quote from: ElectrikBlue on September 06, 2009, 07:07:50 AM
Pusher + canard I like your idea Tophe!  :thumbsup:
Well, you convinced me, dear EB... This will at last not be a glider but a pusher... with a 2-blade propeller (horizontal), avoiding the need for fragile undercarriage...

Tophe

Here are the parts that will be used (I will not used the clear part for the cockpit but the plain one):

Tophe

Tophe

The pod received putty and sanding, all right (almost).
The spinner and propeller (turned twin-blade) are glued.
The putty on the wing is there, to be sanded.
Things go on slowly...

Brian da Basher

Just imagine the incredible view you'd have flying around in this baby! This bird would be perfect for aerial photography!

Your imagination is boundless, mon ami!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Tophe

Dear Brian I thank you and I sigh...
My project was to paint the very simple AS-31C-1, then...
you invented the far better AS-31C-2, and I may consider painting it this way, uneasy :blink: , but so nice :lol:

JP Vieira

Quote from: Tophe on October 10, 2009, 11:13:27 AM
Dear Brian I thank you and I sigh...
My project was to paint the very simple AS-31C-1, then...
you invented the far better AS-31C-2, and I may consider painting it this way, uneasy :blink: , but so nice :lol:

This is great!!!! :bow:
Congrats :cheers:

Tophe

The engineer had said: "this high pod does not provide lateral control enough, this model needs a fin or winglets"... <_<
His son smiled ;D "and I had not enough room on my shelves, a reduce span would be great!"
You know all the story. Absolutely true, I swear, the AS-31C was designed this way. And the father may be the son :blink: , Dr Freud will explain you why and how, I don't care... :lol:

B777LR

Quote from: Tophe on October 11, 2009, 08:56:25 AM
The engineer had said: "this high pod does not provide lateral control enough, this model needs a fin or winglets"... <_<
His son smiled ;D "and I had not enough room on my shelves, a reduce span would be great!"

Or the hangars, if you want a real-world story ;D

Tophe

Oh yes, (how green am I, "silly as a what-if modeller!" no, I am joking, we all know What-if is evil heresy and Real is Holy, and model toys are for little children only)... ;D
Or... an elevator size restriction, for the Royal Navy derivative, yes! Thanks for finding such 'serious' reasons...  :bow: