Whiffing away from home or consolidated model 35 in chillean service

Started by DaFROG, September 04, 2009, 03:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFROG

Yes folks it's that time of year again when the powers that be think it's a good idea to send me to Adelaide and make me work 60 hours a week on a powerstation without the stabilising influence of Mrs frog.
This time I came prepared with white metal figures to paint.
However I recently traded some decals for a what i thought was a 1/144 B26 and some decals (came with an additional F4) and they were sent to my work address (theres someone there during business hours unlike home) and they forwarded to the Adelaide office where I'm currently working.
The upshot of all this is that I will be making a consolidated model 35 (basically a twin engined B32) designed for the chilean navy. I was actually inspired by the Me 264 but the B32 looks similar appart from the vertical tail and the prototype had twin tails and also a glass house b29/me264 nose initially i think.
Also i have Chilean decals here and though it would be best if it was an American design.

The plan is to remove the bit infront of the wing and add it aft of the wing. such sectioning will require a razor saw but i didn't bring one. Fear not dear readers the serrated steak knives supplied with my accommodation look perfect for the job..... what me butcher a kit? never. The card is a rewards card from a store i have never visited since getting the card it is my version of credit card modelling. Instead of using cards to by stuff i cut out teh middle man and make stuff out of cards

Just call me Ray

It's a crappy self-made pic of a Lockheed Unmanned Combat Armed Rotorcraft (UCAR), BTW
Even Saddam realized the hazard of airplanes, and was discovered hiding in a bunker. - Skydrol from Airliners.net

sideshowbob9

DaFROG

implements of distruction. above is the original proportions below showing the plug removed and replaced aft of the wing.

early construction photograph, it is unknown why consolidated painted the factory floor to resemble a newspaper or why grossly overscale pieces of masking tape are present

i may yet shorten the nacelles slightly and make them look less radial and I'm not sure if the dorsal turret will be retained

sequoiaranger

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Sauragnmon

I'm with SR - this is quite an interesting progression so far, very interesting stuff.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Brian da Basher

That's some mighty skilled kit surgery there Frog. I like the idea of modifying the engine nacelles. Have you considered converting them to inlines? Since your aircraft will be Chilean, going from radials to inlines would be an interesting counterpoint to the Argentinians putting radials on license-built Mosquitoes.

Regardless of the direction you go in, I'm enjoying watching this project take shape!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

DaFROG

Tanks Brian especially from one with your mad skills (emphasis on themad  ;D )
Engines will be in lines, although i don't have anything other than an F4 here to make them from. I'm going with some cosmetic mods of the cowlings (remove radial type "gills" or whatever they are called) and claiming Alison V3420's with annular fan forced radiators and contra props. from what I've seen it should be possible to fit them into circular section nacelles with oil coolers, torbus etc underneath, though the would be slightly larger than standard radial ones which dovetails nicely with the slight scaleorama (1/144 to ~1/160 i think). I think the model 35 was designed from the outset with in lines though (see scaleorama) what with the B32 not going into full scale production as it would have used the same radial a the B29 and the chief of the chilean airforces aversion to radials, something about liking long thin bendy shafts rather than shafts that aren't really shafts at all, crank shafts of course what were you thinking.....

sequoiaranger

>I'm going with some cosmetic mods of the cowlings (remove radial type "gills" or whatever they are called) and claiming Alison V3420's with annular fan forced radiators and contra props. from what I've seen it should be possible to fit them into circular section nacelles with oil coolers,...<

Don't' be too hasty to eliminate the "gills" of the radials. ANY airflow into the nacelle has to come out somewhere. That is, if you dream of an annular fan-forced radiators, you still have air moving from the front of the nacelle THROUGH or PAST a heat-radiating device and out somewhere. You can't force air into a closed space, and trapped air certainly won't do any cooling. The air moving THROUGH picks up heat by conduction and radiation as it goes by the cylinders or radiating fins and coils, thereby cooling them, and than hopefully transports the warmed air out into the sky. You may want to modify the gills or move them, but I wouldn't eliminate them if you are intending any sort of air cooling within the nacelle.

My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

jcf

Twin 3420s would be cool as one of the layouts for the 'actual' Model 35 was a four-engined aircraft with the engines arranged push-pull fashion. A different way of getting four-for-the-drag-cost-of-two.  ;D

The various Model 35 iterations eventually led to the Model 36 (B-36).

Dwg from Magnesium Overcast.

Jon

DaFROG

Quote from: sequoiaranger on September 10, 2009, 04:39:37 PM
>I'm going with some cosmetic mods of the cowlings (remove radial type "gills" or whatever they are called) and claiming Alison V3420's with annular fan forced radiators and contra props. from what I've seen it should be possible to fit them into circular section nacelles with oil coolers,...<

Don't' be too hasty to eliminate the "gills" of the radials. ANY airflow into the nacelle has to come out somewhere. That is, if you dream of an annular fan-forced radiators, you still have air moving from the front of the nacelle THROUGH or PAST a heat-radiating device and out somewhere. You can't force air into a closed space, and trapped air certainly won't do any cooling. The air moving THROUGH picks up heat by conduction and radiation as it goes by the cylinders or radiating fins and coils, thereby cooling them, and than hopefully transports the warmed air out into the sky. You may want to modify the gills or move them, but I wouldn't eliminate them if you are intending any sort of air cooling within the nacelle.

I realise that just don't want the "gills" as they are associated with radials there's actually something that looks like a chute (like the rear radiator flap on a mustang) just in front of the main gear doors, I'll probably add a few other bits for exhausts etc on the nacelles somewhere.

@JCF

That's just plain nuts, I actually searched (very briefly) for the model 35 just to see if it was taken/what it was but didn't find anything. To my knowledge I've never seen that drawing before the similarities with my whiff are freaking me out ;D only major difference appart from engines appears to be the longer forward fuselage.Also I dreamed up a similar treatment for the Do(2/3)17 last time i was in Adelaide. Must be something in the water over here it certainly tastes funny enough, so funny infact I've been not drinking it, must be absorbing it through my skin when i shower, have to stop doing that i guess :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Sauragnmon

You could still get rid of the gills per se if you had side vents like on the FW-190 and Ki-100 - If you're using an inline engine, you've got the space under a radial cowling to dump the airflow through across the radiators and down the engine block before it comes out down the nacelles.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

DaFROG

I've inverted the profile of the engines to make them shorter and allow them to be fitted upside down

I'm plannning on fitting an F4 nose gear for double wheels, and will also allow me to shorten the nose gear bay. The propellers wil eb slightly cropped for clearance.

much much PSR thing to come. the wing tips are mostly done. The nose is not on yet as i need to sort the cockpit out first.
Unfortunately progress has been slow due to my 60 hour weeks and teh weather which has nessicated much cycling

Brian da Basher

I'm watching with rapt attention! I like how you "reversed" the engines.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

DaFROG

no much of an update engines are on and PSR'd and scoops are attached underneath (ram air induction into twin turbo superchargers no doubt)
The seats in the cockpit are modified from the angle bracket type ones included in the hobbycraft F4 (I decided with the limited materials at my disposal over here that a glass house nose would be too difficult, also the B32 and JCF's drawing of the model 35 have a flightdeck anyway).

Just a bit of rescribing and fuselage PSR to go and it'll be ready for paint, don't hold your breath though I'm gonna be busy mountainbiking tomorrow (assuming i can remember how to ride a bike with gears and suspension)