Back from the duldrums

Started by chrisonord, September 03, 2009, 12:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisonord

Well I think my lack of inspiration and interest in modelling in general, may be finally on its way out.
A couple of days ago whilst rooting around in my spares box, I came across the engines from the jet Pucara I did. I thought to my self, what xcan I fit these nice little turbo prop motors to then? At first I thought about my Grumman Albatross, but they were a tad too small, so I dug out my Airfix Grumman Widgeon, and, they as near as damn it fit like a glove to the original engine mounts.
So I thought yep that will do, and I am sure I will upset plenty of JMN's and the Airfix Interpol,so even more reason to crack on :wacko:
I know that this kit is quite sought after, and reasonably rare, so I did not want to go too far....ish!! :lol:
I have built the aircraft as OOB, apart from the Astazou engines and OV-10 propellers( which I will now have to source some replacements  :banghead: :banghead:).
I have also painted the plane in a civilian colour scheme, and I have even used some gloss paint on it, which is totally not like me.
I will get some pictures of the Widgeon when I finally get a rain free day here, so it could be some time yet.
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Sauragnmon

Keep it up, mate, she'll be beautiful I know it.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

chrisonord

Ok then,
Here are some pictures of the Turbo Widgeon, it just needs a bit of tidying here and there, and maybe another coat of red. I also need some civvy decals for it as I don't think I have any in the stash.
Although this has been civilised,the aircraft belongs to the Nicaraguan cartel and is formerly a US Navy aircraft that was  abandoned on an island outpost at the end of WW2. The engines were swapped for a pair of Pucara engines that came from a shot down Honduras aircraft, that landed fairly intact. The engines gave the Widgeon a whole new lease of life, and with a bit of modification and strengthening of the wings, gave the plane a much improved turn of speed.
It is thought that the aircraft is the personal transport of the Cartel leaders, and that it uses an inland lake and river system to land and take off from. The aircraft has been spotted in several other countries in the central and southern Americas, proving that the aircrafts range has been extended substantially. The aircraft has also been spotted twice on separate occasions in Cuba.

Cheers,
Chris. 
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Sauragnmon

I think that red's pretty solid, it contrasts pretty interestingly against the navy blue main colour.  Quite a nice looking little flying boat you have there, Chris.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Sisko

The blue bin of death!!! ;D

Seriously though I like it as well as the paint job! :thumbsup:

Get this Cheese to sick bay!

NARSES2

Like it, and it looks plausable as well - fool some people  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.