Swallow HC.1

Started by Spey_Phantom, September 01, 2009, 09:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

Back History:

in 1984, the Italian Army was looking to replace its older AB204 (UH-1F) helicopters, part of that requirement was already filled up by the AB212. the requirement called for 45 helicopters, with a good hot and high operating capability, but also had to be used in colder arctic conditions.

Agusta came up with an extensivly upgraded and modified version of the AB204. modification included an extended nose for a new all-weather radar and 2 new Arriel 1C turboshaft engines to replace the single older Lycoming engine. the aircraft was designated the Agusta A116, code named "Esquallo".

in 2008, AgustaWestland produced a new upgraded version of this helicopter under the name AW512. the Royal Air Force, desperate for new and more helicopters, placed an order for 68 helicopters, to be used for SAR operations within britain, making more Puma's and Seakings available for missions abroad. in RAF service, the AW512 was designated Swallow HC.1. up to date, 12 Swallows have been delivered and are already performing SAR duties in the Scottish Highlands.

the model,

the model is a old 1/72 Italeri AB204 helicopter, salvaged from the junkyard.
i removed the older engine and main rotor and replaced it with that of a scrapped 1/72 revell SA365 Dauphin, the nose comes from a matchbox Lynx AH.1, aswell as the skids. the tail rotor is from a revell Seaking Mk.41 and the edditional tailfins are scratchbuild.

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

anthonyp

Now that looks really nice.  At first I thought it was a Lynx totally tricked out, then read the description   ;D

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Brian da Basher

Most excellent Nils! I espcially like how the red sets off the markings and that waaay cool Royal Air Force placard.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Shasper

Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

B777LR

I thought it was a Lynx at first! Really sexy top :wub:

I have added it into the Whiffpedia :thumbsup:

Captain Canada

You guys are all on drugs...that thing is pure ugly ! Very cool, but ugly.

Nice job resurrecting old kits, Nils !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?