Stampe & vertongen SV.15 "Flandria"

Started by Spey_Phantom, August 30, 2009, 11:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spey_Phantom

yes, im gonna build another Messerschmitt, this time post war version, inspired by the "never retired" GB proposal.

Back Story:

After the war in Europe ended in 1944, the Soviet Union with its communism was starting to get more and more agressive, the USA and the UK have seen, that there forces in germany had to be withdrawn in order to protect the british homeland. this meant that germany, still under an arms embargo and was forbidden to have any military, had to provide there own defence, so the newly established UN changed the arms embargo and allowed Germany to re-equip its military, but only if it was to be used in self defence.

Willy Messerschmitt, who was released from 2 years prison in 1946, was asked to design and build a new defence fighter. he has proposed an updater version of the Bf.109, redesignated Me109. some changes included a new bubble canopy, a newly uprated DB605 engine with an added supercharger and the ability to carry a higher external load such as bombs, torpedo's and rockets. the americans provided Messerschmitt with a radar that was tested on the wings of F-4U corsair fighters.

a total of 136 Me109A's were build, including 20 Me109T 2-seat Trainers. in 1952, Meserschmitt presented a new version with an early HUD, sidewinder air-to-air missiles were also integrated, 1 could be carried under each wing, although to archieve this, it had to remove the wing mounted guns.
the Me109C, as it was designated, stayed in service up until 1959, when it was replaced by the jet powered F-86 Sabre.

the model:

the model will be a 1/72 Messerschmitt bf.109G-6, modified with the canopy of the Focke Wulf TA154 fighter (from the scrapheap) more updates and modifications will follow later.
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

change of plan  ;D

ive managed to discover a way to completly modify this aircraft, and im moving it to Flemish post-war service  :mellow:

back story:

in 1944, the Belgian Company Stampe & Vertongen (famous for the SV-4b trainer) developed a new fighter for the post-war armed forces, using the best of both German and Allied technologies, this turned out to be the SV.15, named the "Flandria" cause of its all-flemish design. when Belgium was split up in 1946, Stampe was asked to produce over 100 SV.15's for the Flemish Air Corps.

Model:

the model will still use the airfix 1/72 Bf.109G-6 as base model, but will include:

-clipped wings
-slipper tanks
-super charger
-new bubble canopy
-bigger tail
-new propellor mounted cannon (like in the P-39 Airacobra)
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

Quote from: apophenia on September 01, 2009, 03:53:47 PM
Out of curiousity, what is "Flemish Air Corps" in Flemish?
i think its "Vlaams Lucht Korps", its a similar concept to the irish air corps  :mellow:

anyway, i dont have any new pics yet, but those should be up soon  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

UPDATE

she's almost done, just finished the main assembly (prop not glue'd on).
but i exchanged the prop of the Me109 with the 3-bladed one of a Hurricane Mk.1.

tomorrow (hopefully) she would go into the paintshop.
i was thinking of turning it into a luft46 interceptor called the Me509, but then i thought the tail had the allied look so i decided to stick with the Flandria concept  :mellow:

pictures  ;D
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Spey_Phantom

FINISHED

this project has been on hold for almost a month now, but i finally found the time to finishher up today  :mellow:
the main landing wheels are gonna need another layer of black paint, as the yellow has kinda run out, but that will be fixed soon  :mellow:

i was planning on painting the tail rudder yellow & black, but  i decided just to keep it yellow, maybe add a black line(s) later.

now that the WIP line is empty, i can open up new projects again so my stash can slim  ;D

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

ChernayaAkula

Neat! :thumbsup: Really like the canopy like that. The nose looks somewhat Fw 190D-ish, which is not a bad thing!  :smiley:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Weaver

Nice one - the canopy looks good and the roundels are gorgeous  :wub: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

B777LR

I love it. The Cessna tail looks lovely on this one

batmancustoms

John 'Panzer' Hinton
http://www.batmancustoms.com/