S

Props (Again)

Started by sideshowbob9, August 26, 2009, 11:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sideshowbob9

Hi folks, tis me again. Does anybody have any spare propellers they'd be willing to part with?

In particular I need a pair suitable for a 1/72 P-2 Neptune (preferably 4-bladers but essentially anything with spinners - the bigger the spinners the better!) but I'll take any pairs I can get as I also have a thing for contra-props (it's a serious condition I tells ya!).

I can send a paypal payment in compensation or we can come to some arrangement via PM.

Thanks for looking  :ph34r:

kitnut617

Are you talking Wyvern size spinners ? I used these on my Nottingham
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

sideshowbob9

I was planning on doing my Neptune as a RN ski-equipped bird based in the Antarctic/South Georgia in EDSG with Red ID bands. Originally, she was going to have R-R Tynes but it's just not practical without major surgery!

Brainstorming one night, I figured that the the Neptune's R-3350 "power-egg" nature lend themselves to conversion to a honking big in-line reasonably well (moreso than most radials) so I decided to convert them to Allison X-4520 X-24s. I envisioned them with 4 exhaust stacks (much like a R-R Vulture) and a radiator intake both above and below the spinner (conveniently covering the central radial bit) and 4 big paddle blades. Events however, have conspired to take the props for other projects!

The front section of a Wyvern's spinner would be ideal for this and would leave the rear parts for a couple of ducted spinner projects I have in mind.

Do you have any to spare at all?  ;D

kitnut617

I don't have any to spare, sorry.  But you can get them from Aeroclub.  Here's a number of other props which have spinners, all in 1/72 and from Aeroclub. BTW, the Wyvern prop is about 13 feet in diameter, just to give you an idea on sizes, this you can see in the top picture.  In the bottom picture, the un-named props are for a Connie I think.

sideshowbob9

Aha! P046 is very much like what I had in mind (blade-wise). I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks, for the pics!  :cheers:

chrisonord

Hey Bob,
They do a set of 4 contra props for a shackleton also, I got a set a while ago to do a conversion job on a Caribou and an AC-119.
They are pretty good too, and I think they will suit the neptune down to the ground. Or.. you could get the turbo prop conversion from Northwing in Japan, I have this conversion set for my Neptune
Cheers,
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

kitnut617

Quote from: sideshowbob9 on August 26, 2009, 04:08:49 PM
Aha! P046 is very much like what I had in mind (blade-wise). I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks, for the pics!  :cheers:

Those are Britannia props Bob, about 16 feet in diameter

Weaver

I got a couple of big boxes of white metal bits a while ago, and I think they had some big 4-blade props in them. I'll have a look when I can, but I'm away from Friday to Monday.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sideshowbob9

QuoteThey do a set of 4 contra props for a shackleton also....

Thanks for the heads-up, though they'll be for another project (Griffon-engined MR. Stirling - I have a thing for maritime patrollers at the mo!)

QuoteThose are Britannia props Bob, about 16 feet in diameter

Excellent, commonality with the RAF's Argus MR.1s!  :wacko:

Aeroclub make quite a few goodies I'm gonna have to get.

QuoteI got a couple of big boxes of white metal bits a while ago, and I think they had some big 4-blade props in them. I'll have a look when I can, but I'm away from Friday to Monday.

Thanks.  ;D