A first, actually.........

Started by Glenn, February 28, 2004, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

Yes, my first! I've never shown you guys any model, of something 'unfinished' until now!
The Flettner FL 282B is scratch built with it's body and tail made from fibreglass. The scale is 1/25th and was built around the 1/32sc. Kayman Huskie by Testors.
Using the gearing system and masts, and scaled the model from the Huskie blades.
At this moment, the right rotor is in place, and should mesh with the left rotor when finished.
The cockpit framework is Evergreen tubing, and the only other kit parts are the resin wheels and the radial engine. (it's a 1/35sc. Sherman tank engine)
I intend finishing it on it's ships' platform, with crew.

nev

*jaw drops on the floor*

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:

1/25, scratchbuilt you say?

:wacko:

that is quite simply, amazing!  :wub:

Any chance you could post another photo alongside a more common model in 72nd or 48th so we can get a feel for the size of it?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Looking good, Lyn !

Beauty scratch-build.........always ice to see innovative work like that, especially obscure subjects !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

lancer

Oh man!!!, that is one fan-bloody-tastic model!!! I slaute you sir.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Glenn

When it's finished, I'll put something beside it, to show you the size. It won't be either of the model Flettners, as I don't have them, but I will add something.

Joe C-P

Cool beans!

Hmm... since this is what-if, have you considered a sub deck instead of ship deck?

Or might you put it on a ship that never carried helos, such as Tirpitz or Scharnhorst? Or how about pushing up their development a couple years and giving Graf Spee a helo? It might have escaped Valparaiso if the crew could have sent an aircraft to scout the harbor approaches, leading to another sea battle.

No matter what you do, it's an impressive model of an unusual and interesting subject.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

John Howling Mouse

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Sisko

You are a god!!

Love the Triebflugal as well.

B)  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Glenn

Well, it's almost finished! One rotor, the crew and the diorama base to go, then I can put it in a cupboard and forget about it!

Captain Canada

With photos like that....we'll soon forget about it as well ! :P

Sorry, just a wee bit spoiled now that yourself and Matrix haven shown us how to do it proper ! :lol:

Looking good, Lyn ! ;)  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Wow, with those big ole rotor blades, she must be pretty big.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ollie

Very nice Glen!

I wish I could scratchbuild like you do!!

:o  :o  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Glenn

Capt'n Canada,
           Yes, sorry about the shot, but in the words of Jake Blues, "it wasn't my fault"!! You see, I was going to shoot it on the wooden frame, set on the rear turret of my 1/25th sc. KMS Scharnhorst, but couldn't, you see, she is in my 1/25th diorama of the St. Nazaire dry docks, getting her bottom scraped!
  Good, I thought you'd understand!

Glenn

Ollie,
   I think you'd like to see an article on 'scratch building', well actually, so would I!
There are lots of scratch-build modellers out there, on your site......ask them. We're never too old to learn.
My methods could be crude to most modellers, I'd love to find easier ways of doing things! My biggest 'bug-bear' is vac-forming. I'm sure Evergreens' profits are 'cause of me buggering up more projects than I care to mention.
Between vac-forming, wood and fibreglass, the methods are endless.
As a professional modeller working at Movieworld, on the Gold Coast (now in NZ after working on Lord of the Rings) once told me, "It's not WHAT you build, it's HOW it's made" that's important!
With some of the things his team made....................................!

Captain Canada

Yes, sorry about the shot, but in the words of Jake Blues, "it wasn't my fault"!!
Beauty !

" I had a flat tire ! "

" I ran outta gas"

:lol:

Well, we know it'll get finished eventually, after all, " we're on a mission from God ! "

:P  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?