HAT Industrie

Started by Weaver, August 17, 2009, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Hannants have got a couple of HAT kits in that have considerable whiff potential, especially for steampunk/Victorian subjects:

HAT8179 1:72 Gatling Gun £5.50 £4.78
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HAT8179

HAT8180 1:72 Gardner Gun £5.50 £4.78
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=HAT8180
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Yup saw those and thought of a project I've had in mind for ages  :wacko:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Green Dragon

Was thinking of getting some of the Gatling guns for a steampunk thingy but are they that soft polythene crap or styrene?

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

Good question  -they're polythene. HAT claim that the newer ones are made of a different compound to traditional polythene figures, and that paint WILL adhere to it reliably without undercoats of paint and/or glue. There's a tips page on their website with all kinds of info on how to trim, modify and paint these figures.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Thats right. Most of Hat's recent releases are in this "new style" polythene that takes paint far better then the older soft figures. Some other manufacturers (Italeri) use this for their figures as well now.

It does paint up far better, no longer need to use the PVA undercoat trick. BUT check the figures in the box as not all their new stuff is paint friendly

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Green Dragon

Thanks for the info guys, might try some. I was thinking of doing a section of an airship with electrically powered Gatling guns. Probably a bit too ambitious for me though!

Paul Harrison
"Well, it's rather brutal here. Right now we are advising all our clients to put everything they've got into canned food and shotguns."-Gremlins 2

On the bench.
1/72 Space 1999 Eagle, Comet Miniatures Martian War Machine
1/72nd Quad Tilt Rotor, 1/144th V/STOL E2 Hawkeye (stalled)

Weaver

Go for it! Even if it doesn't come out quite as you'd want, you'll learn loads in the process.

A favorite What If of mine has always been the early adoption of the powered Gatling - Gatling himself tried it in 189-something-or-other and then put the idea on the shelf because "there's no electric power on the battlefield". Well true, but there was loads of electrical (and other) power on the warships, tanks and planes that came along in the 50ish years between then and General Electric re-inventing the concept.

- Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on August 21, 2009, 01:55:00 AM
Go for it! Even if it doesn't come out quite as you'd want, you'll learn loads in the process.

A favorite What If of mine has always been the early adoption of the powered Gatling - Gatling himself tried it in 189-something-or-other and then put the idea on the shelf because "there's no electric power on the battlefield". Well true, but there was loads of electrical (and other) power on the warships, tanks and planes that came along in the 50ish years between then and General Electric re-inventing the concept.

Plenty of steam power onboard ships as well.  True steam punk would of course utilise it to power the Gattlings!

As for the battlefield - small steam boilers mounted on the carriage could supply sufficient power to spin up a Gattling gun.

Just a few ideas. 
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

jcf

Started a new thread on the Gatling in the Weapons sub-forum. First entry is electric Gatlings.

Dr. Gatling's Infernal Device

Jon