1/48 aeroclub Lightning F.6

Started by DaFROG, August 15, 2009, 02:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFROG

A local hobby shop has one of these second hand.
I was considering buying it but was slightly put off when i had a look inside and saw the vac/injection/white metal multimedia nature of the beast (white metal isn't just LG or a seat wither it's most of the nose and the tailpipes, it also has complete intake and exhaust ducting which looked  abit complex)

I didn't buy it but as I was going home on the train I could hear it taunting at me  :unsure: ???
Does anyone know if this thing goes together relatively easily (I mean no glaring fit problems or mis matches between the different media)?
I'm no stranger to a bit of PSR and a bit of scratch building as my one week GB entry shows.
What do you guys reckon?
Should i give in to the childish temptation to prove my manliness (nerdlieness??) and buy it?

The Rat

This is whiffery lad, fear has no place here!  :wacko:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles
Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Barry Krell

Worth a spin.  Aeroclub vacforms are designed to be easy to build.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

nev

If you want to build a 48th Lightning, why not just get the excellent Airfix kit? ???

The Aeroclub 2-seat conversion is very good btw, apart from the vacform canopy, which like all vacform canopies, is a nightmare.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

DaFROG

well it was on special and i kind of like the lightning (to do otherwise seems to be an act of treason throughout the British empire ;D ). Also I have an aversion to building things out of the box (they tend to either end up whiffed, good, or i go into endlessly decreasing spirals of superdetailing until i disappear up my own proverbial, bad) hopefully since this thing isn't exactly shake and bake i can actually build it straight, enjoy the challenge and not allow my superdetailing fetish to get in the way of completing it

I did buy it and indeed it seems to be quite well engineered with bulkheads and moulded reinforcing bits to hold the fuselage join together.

Barry Krell

Quote from: nev on August 16, 2009, 09:37:56 AM
If you want to build a 48th Lightning, why not just get the excellent Airfix kit? ???

Thing is, they're a bit thin on the ground at the moment and the ebay prices are going through the roof.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

DaFROG

Quote from: Barry Krell on August 16, 2009, 03:55:27 PM
Quote from: nev on August 16, 2009, 09:37:56 AM

Thing is, they're a bit thin on the ground at the moment and the ebay prices are going through the roof.

I'm also in Australia so shipping can get pretty steep.

I just checked fleabay and found the aeroclub kit for a mere 69.99 pounds + postage whihc is close enough to 4 time what i paid :o :o :o :o