Paint Stripper

Started by IanH, August 14, 2009, 08:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanH

Cheap alternative for erasing modelling mistakes - Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner in the spay can!  Just follow the instructions & use an old toothbrush for the stubborn bits.

Steel Penguin

AND BE VERY CAREFUL. if its the same as the old products is packed full of conc sodium hydroxide, which will chemical burn down to the bone if you give it a chance. 
also dont leave it on metal for too long as it will corrode and pit(when i worked in electroplating its what we used to dissolve the zinc into solution, though at a much lower concentration)
the things you learn, give your mind the wings to fly, and the chains to hold yourself steady
take off and nuke the site form orbit, nope, time for the real thing, CAM and gridfire, call special circumstances. 
wow, its like freefalling into the Geofront
Not a member of the Hufflepuff conspiracy!

Allan

I've used oven cleaner here in Australia and have found that it removes Humbrol pretty well, but has a tougher time tackling WEM enamel.
Allan in Canberra

Barry Krell

Fairy Power Spray here in the UK for enamels and acrylics, although it's having a tough time with the Humbrol Silver NMF finish on that Spitfire F21 I was given.  I've resorted to Modelstrip for the tough bits.  That'll take off enamels but not acrylics. 

Contrary to what some posters have said, Fairy Power Spray (henceforth FPS) WILL take off Halfords Primer.  It took the white primer off a wrecked Spiteful recently, all the way down to teh bare plastic and will make a serious dent in the normal grey Primer.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

beowulf

whenever i get one stubbon to the oven cleaner i always drop it into brake fluid

i was always very wary of trying this..............sounded a little 'scary'..........but i had a Nashorn that was very difficult to strip.........finally tried the brake fluid option..........left it for an hour or two then REALLY rinsed it in clean water, using an old soft toothbrush...........even took the Humbrol primer off!

just be sure to wear correct ppe and take usual precautions
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

Barry Krell

FPS will also take of Halfords metallics.  Just stripped a Meteor.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

ruki

denatured alcohol ( meth spirits) - the purple colour stuff.

works like a charm for stripping tamiya acrylics. Wear a respirator for the fumes

Howard of Effingham

not too OT but has anyone come across a stripper that removes revell's aquacolor acrylics?

it would be nice to know one.
Keeper of George the Cat.

The Wooksta!

Fairy Power Spray.  If it'll go through Halford's Primer, it'll cut through owt.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"She's died?!?  Then how's she meant to get the shopping home?"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

lancer

Quote from: The Wooksta! on July 09, 2010, 06:33:05 AM
Fairy Power Spray.  If it'll go through Halford's Primer, it'll cut through owt.

The only thing I've never had much luck removing with FPS is Halfords White plastic primer. takes everything else off a treat but not the primer :banghead: :banghead:
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

The Wooksta!

Depends how old the primer is and how long you leave FPS. 

It won't take all the primer off, but will remove a significant amount.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

beowulf

Quote from: Howard of Effingham on July 09, 2010, 05:23:33 AM
not too OT but has anyone come across a stripper that removes revell's aquacolor acrylics?

it would be nice to know one.

ive never had any probs with either mr muscle or brake fluid............takes Aquas off very easily
.............hes a very naughty boy!
allergic to aircraft in grey!
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time........Bertrand Russell
I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ......Edmund Blackadder

sequoiaranger

>not too OT but has anyone come across a stripper that removes revell's aquacolor acrylics? it would be nice to know one.<

I did in Las Vegas once, but her tassles kept getting in the way  ;D
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

NARSES2

Saftey question (me and the model) Is Fairey Power Spray ok to use on resin kits ?

If so it will save me a lot of sanding  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

Yes.  I stripped an Airkit Spitfire F21 with it (twice! - original and my cack handed repaint) with no ill effects at all.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: