Wolf markings.

Started by seadude, August 13, 2009, 07:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

For a long time, I've been fascinated by the VF-1 Wolfpack squadron and the F-14's they used to have. Even though the squadron was disbanded long ago, I want to do a future WHIF and imagine that the squadron still exists, but with F-18's now.
Here's where things take a twist: I've seen lots of fabulous pics of Tigermeet aircraft with tiger stripes on the aircraft body, and especially tiger heads/faces painted on the noses of aircraft. I want to do sort of the same thing, but put a wolf's head/face on the nose of the aircraft. Is there any special wolf decals/markings I can get to simulate this? Or will I have to paint/draw on the aircraft what I want? I also want some wolf decals similar to this:

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

DaFROG

There are some profile and head on wolf decals on various games workshop space wolves sheets from warhammer 40,000.
they are probably about right for 1/72 or 1/144 depending on the aircraft/ size you want them to be on the model.
They are black not teh lo vis grey but they might look fine if you have a darker scheme on your model (or don't want lo viz).
upper left and lower right of this image have what I'm talking about

P.S. I recently gave these sheets to some other members of this forum, though I may have some more at home. I think that these sheets were included in some box sets or kits (stupid expensive for what you get and probbaly not worth it just for decals) from GW and these tended to have several sheets for the different space marine chapters, in that case there should be a fair few sets lying around in space marine gamers bits boxes

seadude

What I've got is a 1/48 scale F/A-18E Hornet that I want to apply some sort of wolf face markings on the nose similar to what is shown on this Tigermeet aircraft:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Acree

The South Dakota Air National Guard uses the call sign "Lobo"  check out this link for decals:

http://www.bare-metal.com/media/48-35.jpg

Cheers,
Chuck

Aircav

Quote from: seadude on August 13, 2009, 07:32:48 PM
For a long time, I've been fascinated by the VF-1 Wolfpack squadron and the F-14's they used to have. Even though the squadron was disbanded long ago, I want to do a future WHIF and imagine that the squadron still exists, but with F-18's now.
Here's where things take a twist: I've seen lots of fabulous pics of Tigermeet aircraft with tiger stripes on the aircraft body, and especially tiger heads/faces painted on the noses of aircraft. I want to do sort of the same thing, but put a wolf's head/face on the nose of the aircraft. Is there any special wolf decals/markings I can get to simulate this? Or will I have to paint/draw on the aircraft what I want? I also want some wolf decals similar to this:

Yo Dude,
what scale are you after cos I think I've got that Wolf decal in 1/72 and 1/48 if you want it. ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

seadude

QuoteYo Dude,
what scale are you after cos I think I've got that Wolf decal in 1/72 and 1/48 if you want it.

I'm doing 1/48 scale.

The links/pics to decals and markings for the vertical fin is good, but I'm just trying to figure on what to do for the nose of the aircraft and making the face? Even though this project is still a long ways off, I want to plan early now and find as much markings and decals as I can for reference.
I've often thought about the following alternative for "drawing" the wolf head/face on the nose of the aircraft: After the aircraft is painted, then take colored pencils, charcoal pencil, etc. and "draw" on the aircraft nose the desired wolf head, eyes, fangs, etc. When done, then use perhaps a laquer spray to seal (protect) the markings? Would that work possibly?

Taiidantomcat

Haven't tried it myself...but I bet it would work. Let me know when you do  :thumbsup:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Aircav

If you use a Acrylic pencil it should be fine with a varnish over the top but you could always give it a try on some scrap plastic first.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader