Sapphire Blue Paint & Aircraft Q

Started by Cobra, August 13, 2009, 02:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey Guys, Think Sapphire Blue paint would look good on a:747,UH-60,Spitfire,Etc.?????? just something that sprang into my head & could use your Input!!!!!! thanks for looking.

Weaver

Got an example of what colour you're calling "sapphire blue"? Colour names vary a lot relative to actual shades.

Obviously on a civilian aircraft, it can be painted any colour you like (and can pay for). On a military job, a non-cammo paint job would probably be either on a non-combat aircraft like a trainer or VIP transport or a special commemorative scheme for an anniversary, end of a unit or withdrawal from service of a particular type.

If it's a "pretty" colour, then it will probably look best on a "pretty" aircraft: A-10s don't look good in pink.....;)

Helos look good in "jewel" colours: again, a "pretty" one like an A-109 would suite it more than a "functional" one like a Wasp.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Cobra

i once painted a Skyray in that Color!!!! it was Testors and the Color Said 'Sapphire Blue', it was a Metallic Enamel paint. thought it might work for Aircraft like Concorde,maybe a Plane like the F/A-18!!!!!! that's what i'm talking about!!!!!!

Mossie

To add to Weavers comments, display teams often use bright colours too, in fact there's a bunch of blue F/A-18's that frequentley wander around the US! ;)  Occasionaly, you can see privately owned ex-military aircraft painted in the owners own scheme, there have been a few Spitfires painted like this, there's an Aero L-39 that does shows in the US painted in a Thunderbirds scheme & Reno Air Racers tend to get very bright schemes.

And if you just want to paint it blue because you like the colour, why the hell not?!?!?

Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2009, 03:25:41 AM
If it's a "pretty" colour, then it will probably look best on a "pretty" aircraft: A-10s don't look good in pink.....;)

It would if it was Desert Pink..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Weaver

Quote from: Mossie on August 13, 2009, 04:31:24 AM
Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2009, 03:25:41 AM

It would if it was Desert Pink..... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

LOL - maybe with a discrete winged dagger badge on it?  :wacko: Now that could be a GB idea: what if the SAS had as much money as they wanted?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Sauragnmon

If you like blues, the JASDF F-2's have a blue-on-blue camo they wear.

Blue Angels Bugs are mostly a roughly sapphire blue with canary yellow markings on them.

I could imagine seeing a markings over blue Flanker might be pretty neat.

It depends on how you want to tweak it around, straight blue is one thing, but if you add a contrast to it, it'll really set it off and she'll be quite stunning.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Aircav

Just found this cool colour site with all the code numbers  ;D
http://www.e-paint.co.uk/RAL_Colourchart.asp
ps, the colour I've always like but could think anything to paint it is Humbrol 222 Metallic Moonlight Blue.   :rolleyes:
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader