G.I. Joe 'Action Figures'

Started by seadude, August 12, 2009, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

The G.I. Joe movie is currently out, and that has made me nostalgic about all the cool vehicles I used to see in the cartoon tv shows as well as in the aisles of my favorite toy stores when I was a kid.  ;D  Did anyone here ever used to build WHIF G.I. Joe vehicles or maybe have current or future plans to build anything? Right now, I have a M1A2 Abrams tank sitting in my closet that I want to convert in the future to have some sort of new gun system or missile system or both, and make it into some type of fictional G.I. Joe design.

gijoetoys.com
http://www.gijoetoys.com/
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.

Cobra

There are 2 Other G.I.Joe sites you can Check:www.yojoe.com & www.joecustoms.com!!!!!!! the Second one is Something Whiffers would Enjoy!!!!!!! Stay Cool :ph34r: :cheers:

Taiidantomcat

I found some unit names Cobra stuff can use:

1/286th Tele-Viper Battalion "The Fightin' Beeps" Platoon Detachment
4th Rattler Squadron "Death's Ejectors"
1st Company 3rd Very Light and Fragile Armored Hiss Battalion
26th Cobra Light Rifle Regiment "The Dizzy Sharpshooters"

I wish i could say i came up with those names but i found them here:

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/gi-joe-cobra.php

along with some hilarious analysis of the original cartoon

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Shasper

There is the jet powered quad tilt . . . whachamacallit (looks like a more eloquent protoless V-22), that would be cool to build.
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

philp

Revell actually made some model kits of some of the vehicles (3 I think) including the Tank.

I thought this one would be perfect to modify into a Hover tank with the body and turret shapes being unique.

One of the other kits was a motorcycle with a sidecar that had a vulcan in it but can't remember what the 3rd vehicle was.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Spey_Phantom

"they fight for freedom wherever there's trouble, GI Joe is there...."
ah yes i remember the cartoon, i actually went to see the movie last week, it was awesome.
and i was just crazy about the Night Raven (witch looked an awefull lot like the Firefox, except of "think Russian" it was voice controled in Keltic Scottish, so "Think Scottish" ;D )

on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

D-Angle

I grew up with G.I. Joe, or Action Force as they were known over here. over here. I had lots of the original toys, in fact they're probably still hiding in my parents' attic somewhere. ;D I loved the 'Skystriker', which was basically an F-14, complete with working folding wings:

Some other great subjects for inspiration:
The Dragonfly:

The Cobra Rattler:

Cobra Fang:

The H.A.V.O.C., which could deploy a small hovercraft from the rear:

The Cobra Moray Hydrofoil:

I found this link which covers the kind of stuff we are most interested in, 'The 20 Stupidest G.I. Joe vehicles. ;D
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-20-stupidest-gi-joe-vehicles-ever/

Mossie

Yeah, me too!  My mate had the Skystriker, I was very envious.  I had the tank that Philip posted too (toy rather than the model), slightly different for the UK market.  Lost the driver quite early on & he was one of my favourite figures, gutted!

To clarify for our American cousins, GI was named Action Force on this side of the pond.  Action Force was originally seperate from GI Joe.  Action Force was an outgrowth from Action Man (which was itself a liscenced GI Joe) in a very similar way to the Real American Hero figures being an outgrowth of GI Joe, but the two were developed seperatley.  When Palitoy (the makers of Action Force) was bought by Hasbro, Hasbro decided to merge the two lines & we got some new characters & the bad guys changed from Baron Ironblood & the Red Shadows to Cobra.

There were still some distinct differences though & some of the original characters were retained so there is some difference to GI Joe.  There was a comic too (Battle Action Force) so the storyline had to cover how the bad guys became Cobra.  Basically, Baron Ironblood was thought killed, but in reality he betrayed the Red Shadows & became Cobra Commander.

This was reflected in the toy line & there were several differnces.  For instance, whereas the GI Joe line got the HISS tank:

Us Brits got the Hyena:

My brother had the Hyena, but I often nicked it to play over at my mates house.  Might be cool to kitbash it somehow.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Spey_Phantom

i too had my share of Joe toys when i was a kid.
i had the dragonfly to (in a Tigermeet paint  :wub:), some jet that basicly was a YF-23,
a Cobra Fang Tiltrotor attack aircraft, and a number of action figures but i cant remember witch ones  :unsure:

i recently got a couple of Action Figures (3 inch) of the new rise of cobra movie (Snake eyes & the Baroness)
they currently are standing on display above my Xbox, i hope to get the Covergirl action figure to (Karolina Kurkova )
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Taiidantomcat

Range vipers were my favorite:

Alley Vipers cool too:

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

dy031101

Seeing this is a G.I. Joe thread, I'm asking this:

Does anyone remember seeing a pusher-prop fighter/attack-aircraft within the toy line?
To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Cobra

Yeah, it was Called the 'Mud fighter'!!!!! had one when they were out!!!!!!!!! the Piulot's codename was 'Dogfight'!!!!!!

D-Angle

Quote from: dy031101 on August 13, 2009, 11:24:02 AM
Seeing this is a G.I. Joe thread, I'm asking this:

Does anyone remember seeing a pusher-prop fighter/attack-aircraft within the toy line?
The Mudfighter:

http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/89/mudfighter/

dy031101

Thank you very much- this is the very one!  :thumbsup:

====================

To-do list here

dy031101

There is also another (I think it's a jet) aircraft I'd like to ask about......

But the only thing I remember of it is its black-tinted canopy and red fuselage.  Can anyone suggest where I should look?

====================

To-do list here