Tenax-7R Liquid Model Cement To Be Discontinued.

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, August 09, 2009, 01:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

A discussion started over on the track-link.net/ forums is claiming that new EPA restrictions will force Hebco to discontinue the Tenax liquid model cement that some of us use for building our models and force us to seek alternative solutions.  The discussion can be read in its entirety at this link: http://www.track-link.net/forum/news_general/29350
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

B777LR

Tenax, is that modeling glue in general, or just a certain manufacturers glue? Will it affect Revells glue?

NARSES2

I think that's the US version of the EU regulations concerning Chemicals Thomas (can't remember the acronym). Most EU products (or products for sale in the EU) will already pass the regulations. The regs were the reason that Tamiya rattle cans became unavailable in the EU

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Aircav

Is it the same type as Plastistrut cement which is a ABS solvent ?
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Barry Krell

You mean EMA Plasticweld?  Sure they changed the formula for that a while back.  Haven't seen Tenax in the UK for years either.
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

Aircav

Yeah thats the stuff, so I don't have to stock up on it then.
Thanks
Steve

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Barry Krell

According to the bottle of Plasticweld I have in my hand, the contents are Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride).  Is that the type of glue you're after?
Aston Martin  - Power, Beauty, Soul.

Martin H

The Tamiya thin liquid poly turns out to be illegal in Europe due to the EU chemical regs. I was told by Paul at little cars.com that he had heard of a German model show that was raided by the equivalent of trading standards and a German trader who was selling the stuff was prosecuted for selling a "dangerous" chemical product. Almost all UK traders have since dropped the Tamiya stuff as a result.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Aircav

I know that Evo-stick changed its ingredients because the Gunsmith I know has me buying any of the older type in the tins, he uses it for gluing leather to cover recoil pads and the new glue is no good with water, it just balls up.

Sir Sydney Camm

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?