Wraith Mk. I

Started by JoeRugby, August 08, 2009, 11:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeRugby

A fusion of the Matchbox F101 Voodoo and a Hasegawa F/A18.

I am using the exhausts from the 101 for the intakes, the outer wings are from the 18 and the pit and "hump" are also from the 18.

The tail is an amalgamation of the 18 and some sheet styrene.  Still working on finishing some sort of design for the elevators.

1/72 Scale...lots of PSR to come...

I have been looking for some out landish camo scheme for this, but have not found anything that really lights me up or better yet is within my painting skills!

ALL BLACK - ENOUGH SAID !!!

SSgt Baloo

Not older than dirt but remembers when it was still under warranty.

AeroplaneDriver

Very cool!  At first glance it almost has an A-4 look to it (which can only be a good thing!). 

:thumbsup:
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

thedarkmaster

looks very nice so far  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

kitnut617

This is looking very interesting Joe   :thumbsup:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Sauragnmon

I'd go for broke and extend the spine to the base of the tail, just a random thought.  I take it you're using the horizontal tails from the 18 as well?  Might be interesting with Phantom-style anhedral tails.

That said, she's going to be an interesting bird to be sure.

Camo? A good place to start is to figure what you want it to do, and then what nation... gives you an idea of where to start with that.  I think with her geometric look, she'd look interesting in a splinter style, and Splinter's easy, just line up your colours light to dark.  Take your light colour for the basecoat, and cover the whole airframe that you're doing camo over.  Then work the next darker colour, and so on, in straight-edged, slowly smaller pieces with the brush.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

Captain Canada

Great idea.....you can hardly see either of those birds in there !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

chrisonord

I am liking this :thumbsup:
you have made a whole new plane there as you just can't see what has donated the bits, it is that good.
I am looking forward to seeing this thing done. How about a modern US Marine colour scheme and markings, as it looks like the next generation of A-4, a super scooter bomb truck.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Eddie M.

I'm liking this very much myself! Great idea Joe!!
Look behind you!

Weaver

This has that certain looks-right feel about it.  :thumbsup:

It reminds me in a way of the original attack-Phantom (F-3G) proposal, with small nose, single seat, straight wings and tail, before it evolved into the familiar bent, bulbous blob we all know  ;D, and since that aircraft amounted in principle to a scaled-up Skyhawk, I can only echo that comment about this one too.

Good project - watching with interest......
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Ed S

Interesting combination.  The parts fit together better than I might have expected.   

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

JoeRugby

Thanks Gents!

I am liking the Scooter comparisons! 

Still hung up on a camo scheme...what about a "Tiger Meet 2020"?

AeroplaneDriver

Ya know, I love the way this is going, and think that a Phantom/Jaguar anhedral tail would work very well, but you wanted to go with something completely different, a V-tail might look pretty damn cool on this one too....or for something REALLY radical, an inverted V, like a Predator...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Weaver

I'm going to buck the trend and say give it dead straight tailplanes to emphasise the A-4 look. Given the squared-off wing planform, the rounded F-18 tailplanes would probably look wrong, so how about the original Voodoo tailplanes?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

JoeRugby

Quote from: Weaver on August 09, 2009, 03:26:45 AM
I'm going to buck the trend and say give it dead straight tailplanes to emphasise the A-4 look. Given the squared-off wing planform, the rounded F-18 tailplanes would probably look wrong, so how about the original Voodoo tailplanes?

I considered the Voodoo tail...too smal, way to small considering the increase in wing area the modification has generated.  I came up with an idea last night, will post later...