Hawker NF1 Penguin Finished

Started by Modelling_Mushi, August 02, 2009, 03:47:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modelling_Mushi

Gday Everyone

I have finished the Penguin and (apart from issues with Tamiya Enamel) am really happy with it, so I have posted a number of pics. Any criticism, comment etc is welcomed. Build thread is here http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,24388.15.html

Backstory is basicaly that the Penguin was one of 40 developmental aircraft ordered by the RN from Hawker in 1945, for  delivery in 1946, to get them used to jet powered and radar equipped naval aviation. Teh only way Hawker could meet the deadline was to modify their Sea Fury production line, shortening the fusealge, popping a trainer canopy on top, adding a T-Tail and modifying the Sea Fury's wings. The resultant bird proved only marginally faster than the Sea Fury, although able to out climb and out manouever the same. Service life went from 1946 to 1951, and the aircraft modelled is the last airworthy airframe, relegated to an RN OCU unit at Falmouth, as seen at its last public appearance in the 1950 Farnborough Air Show.

Next up - a Ju86A conversion.

Ciao, and thanks for looking

Mass
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Scooterman

Ed S

Nice.  A bit odd looking, but nicely done.  Although, I guess it isn't much stranger looking than some real a/c.

:thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

G.Marcat

Really beautiful, too much well done.

chadders

Fantastic! Absolutly love it! Looks so strange it MUST be a British aircraft! :lol:
Mark
"What if" baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Howling Mouse

Now that IS cool/interesting from so many different angles.
And I'm not just saying that because it's a beloved T-Tail, either...   :wub:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

GTX

Quote from: chadders on August 03, 2009, 11:12:56 AM
Fantastic! Absolutly love it! Looks so strange it MUST be a British aircraft! :lol:
Mark

Good call! ;D

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Weaver

Quote from: Ed S on August 02, 2009, 05:15:15 PM
Nice.  A bit odd looking, but nicely done.  Although, I guess it isn't much stranger looking than some real a/c.

Ed

My thoughts pretty much exactly. It reminds me of the various "awkward" Russian night-fighter projects with odd engine arrangements, which means of course, that it's perfect for the period when the "right" shape of a jet fighter was an open question.

Nice one MM!  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Modelling_Mushi

Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked her.

Have put the Ju86 on the backburner for a mo', can't figure out how to do corrugated iron in 1/72, any ideas  :unsure:? In the meantime, I have a 1/144 B-58 that I am currently defacing.

Ciao
Going to be finished in 2021 BEFORE I start any da*!#d new ones - CF-IDS Wolverine; Douglas Mawson; Bubba Wants a Fishin' Rig; NA F-100

Against the Wall - Maton Dreadnought; Fender Telecaster; Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Captain Canada

Good God....it's hideous ! Very cool, tho ! Great job....love the big tip tanks and the odd shaped wing.

:cheers:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

thedarkmaster

It's so ugly that it actually looks good. love it, so very British.  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

Ed S

Quote from: Modelling_Mushi on August 06, 2009, 04:05:30 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked her.

Have put the Ju86 on the backburner for a mo', can't figure out how to do corrugated iron in 1/72, any ideas  :unsure:? In the meantime, I have a 1/144 B-58 that I am currently defacing.

Ciao

Evergreen Plastics sells sheets of corrugated styrene.  I used some a few years ago to make some 1/72 Quonset Huts.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Tophe

Incredible Sea-Fury derivative? Wow... :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

noxioux

She's strange, but very well done. :thumbsup:

I wonder if it would be worth the bother of trying to make corrugated tin out of some thicker aluminum foil?  Maybe cut a 2" or 3" strip, make a nice tidy row of round toothpicks on the bench and press the foil down onto the toothpics?  Make the process so difficult that no one will believe you did it that way. . .