Ship WHIF's I've found.

Started by seadude, July 27, 2009, 03:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadude

Thought I'd take a bit of time out and share some naval ship WHIF's (and aircraft) that I've found. Some people may have seen these before, others might not have. Anyway, enjoy!

Check out the stealth AC! Sweet! :)
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dio/collection/aircraft-700-js21/js-index.html
Virginia CGN ship:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/cg/cgn-42/scratch-jl/cgn42-index.html
USS Tinian BB. (My favorite!)
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/whatif/tinian-350-rw/rw-index.html
USS Zumwalt DDG:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dd/ddg-1000/350-ss/ss-index.html
USS Oklahoma BB:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/bb-73/350-br/br-index.html
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

dy031101

To the individual soldiers, *everything* is a frontal assault!

====================

Current Hobby Priority...... Sigh......

To-do list here

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Captain Canada

Wow ! Great finds ! I have to agree with you boys, the Tinian is simply awesome ! Also dig the Zumwalt with the little firecout...nice touch !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

pyro-manic

Really? I think the Tinian is hideous. A very well-done model, but an extremely unattractive design.

The Oklahoma is very impressive, I must say. Serious firepower there.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

jcf

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 28, 2009, 08:29:47 AM
Really? I think the Tinian is hideous. A very well-done model, but an extremely unattractive design.

Agreed on the Tinian.  ;D

The Okie is insane.  :wub:

cthulhu77

How odd !  I like the Tinian the best, and the Oklahoma the least.  I think the heavy firepower coupled with assault helicopters would make for a fantastic littoral ship, though I wonder about the weight distribution.

All of them are stunning builds, however. Very nice work.

Weaver

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on July 28, 2009, 08:46:16 AM
Quote from: pyro-manic on July 28, 2009, 08:29:47 AM

Agreed on the Tinian.  ;D

Thirded. The historical problem with mixing big guns and aircraft has always been shockwaves. I don't fancy standing next to a helo on the edge of the deck when the 16" guns fire a broadside: I think I might end up in the drink underneath it.... :blink:

Related point: how long is that Mk.26 launcher on the bows going to last (and how many reloads does it have?  :huh:)

Tactically, it suffers from the same problem as many hybrid designs of all sorts, namely that it's always in the wrong place for one of it's functions. A major air and transport asset like that should be standing far off-shore, whereas a gunfire support vessel needs to come in relatively close, where the NJ's armour would be a survivability asset, but several thousand gallons of aviation fuel plus air-munitions on deck certainly wouldn't be.

On the whole, I'd rather have a modestly re-fitted NJ (with 50% more guns) and an Iwo Jima (with more helicopters).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

pyro-manic

My principal issue is that it's UGLY. The Iowa-class are ugly ships anyway, but that modification destroys the lines totally.

Taiidantomcat

I always liked the Iowa class, and I am a Marine so I love the Tinian.  :cheers: To each his own. Do we have any other Ship Whifs around the site? I have a 1/350 New Jersey and Yamato waiting  :wacko:

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

pyro-manic

I have a Trumpy 1:700 Hood that is going to be painted up in Victorian-era colours - black hull, white superstructure and buff funnels. :wub:

The Iowa class is the least attractive of the US battleships IMO - the preceding South Dakotas were so much prettier.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 29, 2009, 09:36:58 AM
I have a Trumpy 1:700 Hood that is going to be painted up in Victorian-era colours - black hull, white superstructure and buff funnels. :wub:

Sounds brilliant!  :wub:

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on July 29, 2009, 09:26:27 AM<...> I have a 1/350 New Jersey and Yamato waiting  :wacko:

You're going to whiff a 1/350 Yamato and New Jersey? :wacko: More power to you, man! :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 29, 2009, 11:05:43 AM
Quote from: pyro-manic on July 29, 2009, 09:36:58 AM

Sounds brilliant!  :wub:

Quote from: Taiidantomcat on July 29, 2009, 09:26:27 AM<...> I have a 1/350 New Jersey and Yamato waiting  :wacko:

You're going to whiff a 1/350 Yamato and New Jersey? :wacko: More power to you, man! :bow:

Still a ways off, I need to get other stuff built and decide how I would like to build them in the mean time. I like that Victorian idea Pyro

anthonyp

Always liked all those builds, especially the Tinian.

Over at the Warships Projects board, they've got a subforum dedicated to Never-were models*.

This one* in particular caught my attention and inspired me for my own builds (My stretched Burkes that can be seen here).

*Membership required in order to view discussion forum
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Cliffy B

"Helos don't fly.  They vibrate so violently that the ground rejects them."
-Tom Clancy

"Radial's Growl, Inline's Purr, Jet's Suck!"
-Anonymous

"If all else fails, call in an air strike."
-Anonymous