Yet another P-51 Mustang?

Started by John Howling Mouse, July 22, 2009, 05:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Yep.  Not even my favorite airplane yet I sure do seem to build quite a few of them.  Oh, and some of these photos are courtesy of my daughter, Cambria.  I won't reveal which ones as it's a little embarassing that my nine-year-old takes better photos than I do!

Only thing different is that this one is a tiny 1:144 model:

Here is the very teeny-tiny seat I scratchbuilt for the cockpit I carved out of the kit:

I embellished what little bits I could, like the details I drew onto the inner wheel well doors:

The kit comes without a cockpit so I hollowed out that area and plunked in the scratchbuilt seat and radio boxes.  I also painted some rudimentary dials on the IP.

And, in memory of the Master Of Dioramas (HOG), I did my best to reproduce my usual concrete tarmac and router-edged base in 1:144 scale:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

jorel62

Captain Canada

Don't be fooled by the pics...it's actually 72nd scale. He would have gotten away with it if he hadn't posted a pic of his giant, Wolverine sized meat-hooks in there !

:thumbsup:

Very nice, Baz ! I was perusing the pics and wondering why the gear doors etc. were so thick, thought it was some cheap Chinese knock off of maybe the Hawk/Testors kit.

:drink:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

DaFROG

yeah i was looking at teh pics and going thats no the worlds best effort for 1/48, then when I got to the LG bays though it was a decent job of a crap model for 1/72 then you say it's 1/144.
It's not fair I tells ya (goes off to burn stash of 1/144 kits and recycle them into knitting needels)

frank2056

I thought it was a 1/48 kit, too;  "Barry almost always builds in 1/48".

Just amazing. I'd take up knitting, but my wife is the knitter, and I don't think she would want to part with any of her yarn or knitting needles.

Is that the Platz kit?

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Cambria seems to have inherited her old mans' talent !!  :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Brian da Basher

The giant hand again, trying to make us think this is 1/144 scale huh?
;)
Yet another amazing modelling feat, Mr Howling Mouse! I really thought the Mustang was 1/48 until I got to the last couple of shots. Absolutely incredible work, especially on the invasion stripes!
:bow: :bow:
Brian da Basher

chrisonord

That is just amazing Ian, the detail is something else :thumbsup:
Now stop it, I feel club handed enough as it is without you doing stuff like this :lol:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: chrisonord on July 23, 2009, 10:14:06 AM
That is just amazing Ian, the detail is something else :thumbsup:
Now stop it, I feel club handed enough as it is without you doing stuff like this :lol:
Chris.

See?  Even when I build a model, people compliment Ian.  He's that good!!!     :bow: :thumbsup:

pyro-manic

Cambria - that's an unusual name. Any history there, or did it just sound good?

The model looks great, but I must know how you did that base!
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Ed S

Very nice Barry.  And in 1/144, that is most impressive.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Cobra

Awesome Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: make sure Your Daughter gets Something Nice for Taking Great Pics like that!!!!!!!! :cheers:

John Howling Mouse

Thanks, guys.

frank2056:
It's the old Academy/Minicraft kit.  I think it's a repop of the old LS kit.

pyro-maniac:
"Cambria" was the name of one of my girlfriends from way back but it suited what my wife, Adrienne, was looking for in a name so she chose it.
The base is just a simple sheet of styrene that has been scribed with some lines then painted to look like stained/cracked concrete.

The key is in the painting: I start with Krylon Sandable Grey Primer (spraycan) to give it a deep grey with "tooth" for the final painting stages.  Then, I stipple paint the surface using a standard Testors 1/4" flat nylon brush and various shades of grey-tan mixes (Polly Scale's "Aged Concrete" is a nice base).  I'm careful to stipple less paint near the scribed tarmac lines, which leaves some of the "pre-shade" effect.  Then I go over the lines with a very sharp pencil to make the various cracks in the concrete.  Just study real cracks in any concrete surface for tips.  Final step is to use some thinned deep-gray paint for the multitude of stains and drips.  Vary the size and shape of the stains and let them evaporate naturally to leave a realistic left-over stain.  Avoid using straight black for this as it won't look realistic in this scale.  A deep grey is better.

The painted tarmac-sheet is then glued (just used a "UHU glue stick") to a routered wooden base (but you can buy identical, ready-made bases at Michael's Craft Stores or Wal Mart, etc.).

Cobra:
The Little Spawn did get something nice for taking such pics: the camera that she's using!  She has a better digicam now than I do!

kitnut617

That's very nice Barry, doing small little kits like this is very challenging and that has turned out very well.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

pyro-manic

Thanks JHM - I will have to give that a try. :)
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<