RAF 74 Squadron Starfighter F.1A-"Tiger Meet"-COMPLETE

Started by AeroplaneDriver, July 20, 2009, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

This was meant to be my OWGB entry, but a combination of getting distracted by a Phantom build and thinking the OWGB ended tonight instead of this morning led me to miss the deadline.  If one of the Mod Bods would be kind enough to bring the my build post from that thread over here I'd appreciate it (I notice Nev did that for a couple of the unfinished builds).  

Anyhoo...getting to the point...

We all know that the RAF operated three squadrons of F-104s in the early 1960s while the English Electric Lightning was experiencing teething problems.  One of the three squadrons was 74 Squadron, the RAF's famous "Tiger Squadron".  This model will represent an aircraft sent to the very first "Tiger Meet" in 1961.  

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Bl**dy h*ll, Nick, you've turned into a veritable building machine   :thumbsup:

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Mossie

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: Ian the Hunter-Gatherer on July 21, 2009, 01:30:57 AM
Bl**dy h*ll, Nick, you've turned into a veritable building machine   :thumbsup:

Ian

Yup! Definitely not human! :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Taiidantomcat

Fantastic brilliant paint job on the wings!
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Damian2

N...M...F... I fear it, how did you do that??
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

AeroplaneDriver

Not much progress since I went back to work this week, but tonight I did manage to get the first few decals on.  So far I have roundels on the wings and fuselage, with the 74 Sqn Tiger Stripe bars flanking the fuselage roundels.

More decals tomorrow after work hopefully, and maybe some pics too.

Dork the kit slayer

I cant wait for this one..its looking really good.
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

AeroplaneDriver

It's been an unusually busy week at work, so not much progress, but I have managed to get a few decals on over the course of a few nights.  Hopefully I'll get it done this weekend.

Ooops....just noticed the tanks are on backwards.  Not glued though, just slid on the wings for the pics.

Cobra

Sweet Job :thumbsup: This looks Too Cool :ph34r: Hope You'll post more When You're Done!!! :cheers:

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Eddie M.

Look behind you!

Aircav

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on July 31, 2009, 08:28:47 PM
It's been an unusually busy week at work,

Thats what you get when you skive on your first day back  ;D
Looking good AD  :thumbsup:
Whats the silver paint?
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

John Howling Mouse

A real eye-catcher!  I thought Nev's avatar would look very fitting on the tail!  Hmmmmm...I do have a few Hase 104's in the stash...

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.