A-6 Intruder and EA-6 Prowler

Started by Radish, July 31, 2002, 01:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

:) Thought the US Navy had already thought that one up. Wasn't the A-6 fitted for that role in Vietnam?
Now a USN Wild Weazel Buccaneer would be good in low-viz colours. Or how about a retro-Weasel....based on the Barracuda!  WOW!!!! :k  :m  :m  :u
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Matt Wiser

the Navy did have an Iron Hand A-6 in Vietnam-it was the
A-6B with ESM, ECM and analyis gear to program Shrike and AGM-78 Standard ARMs. Issued 2-4 per squadron beginning late 1967 for VA-75 cruise on Kitty Hawk (CV-63). All retired by 1980 and converted to E TRAM models (which were HARM/Shrike/Standard ARM compatible). AF never really looked at the A-6, although during the F-111A fiasco, Grumman did offer A-6s to the AF in the event the F-111 was cancelled. Maverick was carried singly on the E SWIP version and would have probably been slant-two load cleared had the A-6 not been phased out beginning in 1993 (Thanks a lot Les Aspin and Bill Clinton!) F version that was cancelled in '89 would have been AGM-65 compatible from the beginning. (They'd still be flying now).

Radish

:) If we're going retro, I still think the Barracuda has a lot to offer. The Helldiver.......in South East Asia colours? South Vietnamese markings? How about a two-seat Hunter in the Weasel role....again with lots of bulges! [8} Then of course, there's the Firefly? The list could go on and on, but what would South Americans use? There's some interesting possibilities and schemes. The B-25 was used as a Ferret in Korea in its TB-25K version (I've built one) and lots of South Americans used B-25s. Anyone fancy a Columbian Ferret? :l
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Joeisamonkey

Hey Fellas,

I was looking at an Italeri A-6E with a mixed load on ARC and got the idea for a Wild Weasel intruder.  I was thinking about modifying the cockpit of a Revell A-6E and using a pair of harms and a slant load of Mavericks.  I figured I would do this in USN colors.  What would you guys do?

Take care,

Joe W
Holy poo-poo I'm in the Army

Edwin

QuoteOr how about a retro-Weasel....based on the Barracuda!  WOW!!!! :k  :m  :m  :u
Another retro-Weasel (or, more correctly, "Ferret"; since the terms "Weasel" and "Wild Weasel" didn't come into use until after the start of the Korean War) idea: Avenger (with ECM equipment in bomb/torpedo bay as "Hunter" and a Fighter-Bomber acting as "Killer") or Helldiver. (ECM equipment in bomb-bay with rockets and/or bombs underwing.)  [8}  :D

aircavpinkteam

QuoteI was in Toronto the other day, and one of the shops had a bunch of those 72nd scale PM bahgdad Sea Furies, you know, with the two seats......

Now that would make for a cool Korean War/ Early Vietnam ' Ferret' a/c, eh ?

Hmmm....now for an excuse to get back to Toronto !
What about a "Ferret" Meteor maybe based on the NF.11
:g

GTX

Hi folks,

A while ago I saw a photograph of an A-6 Intruder in an overall (or close to) green/camoflaged paint scheme - I think they trialed it during Vietnam.  I was wondering if anyone has access to any photographs of the Intruder in this scheme?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

AeroplaneDriver

Actually I think it was in the early 90s.  The pic was on here not too long ago, so if you search you should find it.  If not it's been on ARC so you should be able to find it there too.

It's a great looking Intruder.  You going to wow us with one in 1/48?
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

AeroplaneDriver

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Jennings

The green one was during Vietnam.  I believe there are pics in several books on the A-6 and/or Vietnam, but I don't recall exactly where at the moment.

Try Googling "A-6" and "Vietnam" and trying the images and see what you get.

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

P1127

QuoteThe green one was during Vietnam.  I believe there are pics in several books on the A-6 and/or Vietnam, but I don't recall exactly where at the moment.

Try Googling "A-6" and "Vietnam" and trying the images and see what you get.

J
They trialled it with a particular Air Wing - there were F-4G (the original one!) and RA-5C as well
It's not an effing  jump jet.

GTX

Anthony,

Thanks.  That isn't quite the one I had in mind, but I will keep it anyway.  The one I was refering to was all over green similar to this F-4 from VF-213:

As to the model - I'm planning a 1/48 A-6E (pre-TRAM) as an alternate RAAF lease aircraft (instead of the F-4E) circa 1972.

Regards,

Greg

Leigh

There was also this Blue?/Green Vigilante scheme, and this putrid olive? Phantom tried out by the Navy in Vietnam.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

Leigh

Hmm funny we both posted the same pic at the same time, but I think the colour's off on yours (is this a JMN moment?) 'cos I don't think the intake stripes or the deck markings would be blue. I also have a teeny pic of a dark olive A-6 in Vietnam.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

GTX

Leigh,

Good pick up - the scan went wonky (hence the blue intake markings - should be red).  Mind you, the green of the F-4 is the same as the original picture - could be that the printer stuffed up too.

Please post the small A-6 pic anyway - it's better than nothing.

Regards,

Greg