NATO Aggressor Squadron ideas

Started by philp, July 18, 2009, 11:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

ChernayaAkula posted this neat idea in another thread and I agree it is a neat idea so pulled some of the comments and put them here.

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on July 16, 2009, 09:22:44 AMAnd now for another completely mad thought. How about a dedicated NATO Aggressor force?  :wacko: One that is funded by all members, has pilots from as many member countries as possible and flies around as necessary. Maybe give them a home base where they have some space for ranges and where other members can deploy to. They could deploy to other bases as needed (in support of some large exercises or such). Probably way too expensive, but a cool thought nonetheless.

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 16, 2009, 11:19:04 AMWell, I'm sure you could put some sort of composite squadron together - each nation contributes a couple of fighters, so you'd get various different types in there - F-4s, F-16s, F-18s, Typhoons, Gripens, Rafales, Mirage 2000s, etc. Money and red tape would get in the way, though. Would be cool to see nonetheless.

Quote from: GTX on July 18, 2009, 11:12:45 AMYep - in fact some are the ex-Luftwaffe ones.  I should probably clarify my statement a little - when I said "Now, with all the extra additions to NATO, it still is I guess."  I wasn't referring to Germany in particular but rather that the additional Eastern (primarily) additions to NATO in recent years offer plenty of options for a DACT SQN? with MiG-21s, 23s, 29s Mils etc.  Maybe something based in Luxembourg for use against all NATO countries?

Quote from: philp on July 18, 2009, 11:28:19 AMI like the NATO Aggressor Squadron idea, maybe with UN markings applied.

(If the Mods want to do this in a better way, feel free)

***works for me.  added the admin trail to the original discussion***--jjf

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

GTX

Bugger the mods, I'm trying to think of a way to organise such a thing in real life...Sorry, BD Manager part took over ;D.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Aircav

Just think what will happen when the European Air Force gets started  ;D
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Cobra

Very Cool Idea :ph34r: might be an RPIA though with Pols from some of the NATO Countries in Question!!!! were you thinking about some US F-16's,F/A-18's,Etc. being involved???? one Country that would Look good in NATO markings is Holland!!!!!!! Keep up the great Work!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheers:

philp

So would they have their own aggressor schemes or just use the colors of the original countries?

Think they need some subdued UN markings created also as those big white boxes are pretty easy to see.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

dragon

Throw in some GRIPPENS for good measure. :cheers:
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

Jeffry Fontaine

Base the entire operation in the Azores where you could have virtually unlimited airspace with almost no interference. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Doesn't NATO have a ACM range at Deciomanu (sp?) on Sardinia? That would the logical place to put them.

The Germans actually pretty much did the touring aggressor thing with their inherited East German MiG-29s while they were still flying them. FAA SHARs exercised against them at Deci on their way to Bosnia, which proved salutory..... :blink:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

GTX

Quote from: Weaver on July 18, 2009, 12:51:51 PM
Doesn't NATO have a ACM range at Deciomanu (sp?) on Sardinia? That would the logical place to put them.

The Germans actually pretty much did the touring aggressor thing with their inherited East German MiG-29s while they were still flying them. FAA SHARs exercised against them at Deci on their way to Bosnia, which proved salutory..... :blink:

As I mentioned in the earlier thread that led to this one - For a while there, the Luftwaffe was - when they inherited their MiG-29s, everyone wanted to 'play' with them  ;D.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: pyro-manic on July 16, 2009, 11:19:04 AM
Well, I'm sure you could put some sort of composite squadron together - each nation contributes a couple of fighters, so you'd get various different types in there - F-4s, F-16s, F-18s, Typhoons, Gripens, Rafales, Mirage 2000s, etc.  <...>

I was actually thinking using a single type, not on secondment from the operational squadrons. Just like the US aggressor squadrons. Maybe a couple of the stored Swedish Gripen A/Bs.

Quote from: philp on July 18, 2009, 12:04:04 PM
So would they have their own aggressor schemes or just use the colors of the original countries?
Think they need some subdued UN markings created also as those big white boxes are pretty easy to see.

Paint schemes would be special paintjobs, as on the US aggressors.
How about markings like those on the NATO E-3s, the compass rose of NATO? Would make for a cool roundel.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?