Fintastic

Started by nev, February 22, 2004, 12:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

sorry the piccie is a bit dark, I shoulda taken it in daylight really.  Anyway, bang seats are done, I've started on some of the sub-assemblies which are mini models in themselves and the cockpit is currently receiving base coats of grey.  Its a mamoth kit, but I'm making progress.  The tiny ejection seat is from the Revell 1/72 Tornado for comparison.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Captain Canada

Ah ! Blobs !

But you can tell the size of the kit......woah ! And if that's the underwing ECM pod sitting there, compared to the 72nd scale seat, that thing is a monster !

Toadman
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

Is this your 1:32 Tornado in progress, Nev?  What's the end goal (markings, paint scheme, variant, load-out...).

More pics!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

nev

Yes Toad, that is the BOZ pod, *everything* is big on this kit :D The kit is my entry into the T2K build.  It will be 617 in the artic scheme of white/dsg forward deployed to Misawa AB in Japan.  The plan is to have it in ferry config with hindenburgers & 1500lt tanks under the fuselage.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

nev

Maybe this piccie is a bit better.

Ollie

Lookin' good Nev.  Now, why didn't you posted a picture like this the first time, eh?

:P  

John Howling Mouse

If the remainder of the kit turns out as good as these seats, you'll have a real showstopper/winner there, Nev!  Keep it up!  Keep the photos coming, too.

Gives the rest of us hope re: progress of our own...

:)  

Captain Canada

Are you going to stuff the wee seat into that giant cockpit for 'mini Nev ' ?

Just wondering !

And wot's T2K ?

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

OK, update time!  :tornado:

Here are all the various sub-assemblies I'm working on - stores, pylons, intakes, cockpit, and that GIGANTIC fin!  As you can see most of the big bits are primed and I've started painting one of the Hindenbergers & 1500lt drop tanks in light grey & desert pink respectively.  Tornados often feature mixed colour schemes on their drop tanks, so I'm doing one of each (the other 2 will be grey/green & grey).

Being 1/32, each of these is a mini kit in itself.  Each 'winder is made from 6 parts  :o So nothing progresses quickly with this kit.

:tornado:  

nev

As you can see, this has totally taken over the kitchen table.  Normally I can fold the table down and leave my model & modelling bits on the little unfolded bit.  Not this baby! :tornado:  

nev

another view of my storage area  :D

Note the rather large piece of rear fuselage in the foreground.  I've done a dry fit of all the major bits, and she gets very big, very quickly.

:tornado:  

John Howling Mouse

Love it!  Love it!  Feel like I could come on by, sit down with a coffee, and watch you put it together.

Say, when you get to the landing gear doors (assuming gear-down build), can you take some more pics?  When I built my 1:48 Italeri, I really didn't have a clue how to properly attach the open doors to the wheel well lips.  The vague "attach here" line on the instructions didn't reveal much in the way of detail.

Just didn't seem to make sense and this landing gear door connection area on all the pics I found of real Tornados was obscured by the big drop tanks.

Captain Canada

Beauty, Nevster !

I really like the idea of the mixed paint tanks........always liked that about the Fin !

Cheers !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Hindenburgers are now complete.  To give you an idea of how big they are, I've stuck em next to a 72nd F-15.  The crappy lighting in my loft & my crappy digital camera result in the crappy piccie.  Note the 1500lt tank in desert pink - actually Tamiya flesh, which is much closer to the real shade than Humbrols desert pink (I think it was Wooksta who suggested using Flesh many moons ago)

John Howling Mouse

Even the tanks are "fintastic."

Keep it coming.  This is going to be one impressive big bird on your (reinforced) shelf, my friend.

;)