Westland/Grumman F7F-5P 'Bosscat' PR.4

Started by Bungle, July 14, 2009, 12:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungle

In the early 1950's the Royal Navy were keen to acquire a fast photo reconnaissance aircraft that could fly from their carrier fleet. With the RAF bringing the Canberra on-line and the Shackleton in the hands of Coastal Command the Senior Service looked to Westland for a solution.

Westland had over estimated the Navy's desire for the Wyvern and had a stockpile of Armstrong Siddeley Python engines and initial considered re-launching the cancelled TF.2 converting it to a photo reconnaissance version. But in a bizarre link up with Grumman, Westland were given several airframes from the Tigercat (F7F-3) project that was scaling down. Unfortunately the F7F-3 was a single seater and the RN's specification required a twin seater. Westland got around this by extending the nose and lengthening the wingspan.

Twelve F7F-5P's were produce for the Royal Navy and two for Grummans own use. Westland decided not to name their creation after the original Tigercat but fittingly gave it the moniker Bosscat.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)

Kerrillc

That is a really great whiff. Westland AND Grumman together. Where are Benny and Brain and the rest of the gang?

That was a really inspired build.

Well done!

Kerrill

EDIT: The callsign of the aircraft would not be TC would it?
If I am targetted by JMNs, I'm in good Company.

No, no, no! You do not die for your country, you make the other one die!

chrisonord

Now this I do like :mellow:
Is it 48th or 72nd Andy? We need to know more details on this thing,
Smashing!!
Chris. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

Gary F

Nice idea and work.  But yeah, more details!

Gary F

sideshowbob9

That is nice! Love the contra-prop Pythons!  :thumbsup:

Doc Yo

Nothing I love more* than overpowered twins, and this certainly fills the bill. Well done!

* I was going to say "Except Sybil Danning" but then  it occured to me that she probably qualified as
over powered twins as well...

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

thedarkmaster

Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Ed S

Very nice.  That thing must really haul a** with that much power and all those prop blades.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Captain Canada

Wow. Just plain wow ! That has got to be one of the sexiest birds ever to grace this joint. Between the colour, the props, the tip tanks, the Suez stripes.....uhhhh....this baby has it all !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Sisko

Now I really like this design! :thumbsup:  I would be interested in knowing some of the bits and bobs you used to build this baby.

Especially the engines.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen