Embraer EMB-312 Tucano, Short Bros. Tucano T.1 (S.312), & EMB-314 Super Tucano

Started by upnorth, May 14, 2006, 12:04:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

upnorth

QuoteI can never keep the Pilatus PC-9 and the Embraer Super Tucano Emb-312 straight in my mind.  Can't even remember which one Canada ended up with as the NATO trainer we have here.
Canada uses the Harvard II, which as the name suggests is the same bird as the Texan II. So neither PC-9 or Tucano.

Interestingly, my understanding of the Tucano is that when Shorts built them for the RAF they did something and the Shorts version isn't half the performer the original Embraer Tucano is. Talked with someone on another forum who spent some time doing work on the aircraft, both Shorts and Embraer built, and said the Embraer ones were fine but the Shorts ones were crap.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

NARSES2

Quote[Interestingly, my understanding of the Tucano is that when Shorts built them for the RAF they did something and the Shorts version isn't half the performer the original Embraer Tucano is. Talked with someone on another forum who spent some time doing work on the aircraft, both Shorts and Embraer built, and said the Embraer ones were fine but the Shorts ones were crap.
Interesting - my nephew just spent a week at RAF Wittering as he's hoping the RAF will sponsor him through Sixth Form and Uni and he was telling me that all the engineering guys say the same thing about the Tucano, it's built like a lump of s***

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

GTX

I read somewhere that the RAF originally wanted the PC-9 but got the Tucano instead because of some political or trade deal - I may be wrong.  anyone else know?

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Damian2

What I'd like to know is where can I get reasonably priced 1/48 scale models of the PC-9 and/or Tucano? :D

Can't you just see that with dual mounted rocket pods and antennas/areials etc for FACing?? Maybe DEA drug interdictor??
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

GTX

QuoteWhat I'd like to know is where can I get reasonably priced 1/48 scale models of the PC-9 and/or Tucano?

Forget the reasonable priced part - I just want a 1/48 PC-9 and/or Tucano - I've got a VTOL idea in mind that would require something like that.  I've looked but haven't been able to find anyone who produces either of these birds in 1/48.

Regards,

Greg

upnorth

Aconcagua from South America makes a 1/48 Tucano in resin, but I've heard its pricey and a bit problematic to build.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

jcf

QuoteWhat I'd like to know is where can I get reasonably priced 1/48 scale models of the PC-9 and/or Tucano?

Forget the reasonable priced part - I just want a 1/48 PC-9 and/or Tucano - I've got a VTOL idea in mind that would require something like that.  I've looked but haven't been able to find anyone who produces either of these birds in 1/48.

Regards,

Greg
Greg,
this was posted on HS recently:
a new 1/48th Tucano from Challenge in Brazil
http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/mess...age/1147182777/

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/mess...585/%2B+pic%27s

The one I kinda like is the PZL 130:

Cheers, Jon

waynos

I read in Flight recently that the PC-21 is a front runner to replace the RAF Tucano, this surprised me, not because I don't like the PC-21, but just because of how long the RAF keeps its trainers normally, I still think of the Tucano as being quite new.

GTX

I suppose new is a relative term - the RAF Tucanos selected in 1985; the first squadron aircraft was delivered in June 1988; and student training on the aircraft started in December 1989.  Mind you one has to remember that the life of a training aircraft is quite hard.

Regards,

Greg

Gary

Didn't JHM have one of the resin kits? Arrived all smashed to bits or something.
Getting back into modeling

GTX

Hi folks,

Does anyone know if there is a kit available of the Embraer EMB-314 ALX (preferably in 1/48th) - see below for pics?  I am thinking of doing a new Iraqi Air Force COIN version.  I am also considering doing some rework to the canopy/cockpit to have a true single seat version (i.e. not the current version with the two seat canopy, but typically flown by 1 pilot), maybe looking a bit like a modern Skyraider.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

It's a developed version of the original Tucano, originally worked on in conjunction with Northrop for the JPATS competition.   The Shorts Tucano has a major engine change relative to the basic Tucano and the newer ALX and would require some siginficant rework in that area.  Having said there, I know there once was a 1/72 kit available of the basic Tucano but I've no idea if it's still available.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Mossie

Airfix do a Shorts Tucano in 1/72 & it's apparently a nice little kit although I've not built one myself.  Premiere do both a Shorts and an Embraer EMB-312 Tucano also in 1/72, but are difficult to get hold of.  They're also supposed to be quite nice kits too.

I'm pretty sure there's no kit of the EMB-314 ALX 'Super Tucano' yet.  The main differences between the EMB-312 & the ALX variants are the canopies.  This French language site has pics showing you the main differences:
http://www.aviation-fr.info/guide/tucano.php
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

GTX

Thanks guys.

QuoteIt's also known as the Shorts Tucano, right?

No, this is the 'big brother' of the Shorts/Embraer Tucano (technically the EMB-312).  There are number of differences - see specs below (note especially the length):

EMB-312 Tucano:

Engine: Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-25C of 750 shp
Propeller: three-bladed
Maximum speed: 448 km/h
Cruise speed: 319 km/h
Top altitude: 9144 m
Maximum range: 2055 km
Wingspan: 11.14 m
Length: 9.89 m
Weight: 1810 kg
Maximum takeoff weight: 3175 kg
Weapons: 4 underwing pylons, 12.7mm machine guns, rockets and bombs may be loaded.

EMB-314 Super Tucano (ALX/A-29):

Crew: One pilot on single seat version, one pilot plus one navigator/student on double seat version
Length: 11.33 m (37.17 ft)
Wingspan: 11.14 m (36.55 ft)
Height: 3.97 m (13.02 ft)
Wing area: 19.4 m² (208.82 sq ft)
Empty weight: 3,020 kg (6,658 lb)
Loaded weight: 4,520 kg (9,965 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 5,200 kg (11,464 lb)
Powerplant: 1× Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-68C , 1,600 hp (1,193 kW)

Performance:

Maximum speed: 593 km/h (368 mph)
Range: 4,820 km (2,995 mi)
Service ceiling: 10,670 m (35,008 ft)
Rate of climb: 24 m/s (79 ft/s)

Armament

2x 12.7 mm FN Herstal M3P machine guns
1x 20 mm cannon pod below the fuselage
4x 70 mm rocket launcher pods
Conventional and intelligent bombs
2x AIM-9 Sidewinder or MAA-1 Piranha or Python 3/4 air-to-air missiles
External stores on 5 hardpoints

Also look here, especially at the top of page 5 which includes a profile comparison of the two.

QuoteAny chance you could get a Tucano and convert it?

I may yet need to, though it could be a large job.

There is a 1/48 version of the basic Tucano available from Aconcagua resin models. See here and here for details.  Maybe I could take that route, though it would be more difficult.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

Hmm, wonder if a T-6A front engine mated to a EMB-312 wouldn't go a long way, save for the canopy?
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin