Trim Nail Care Products.

Started by Jeffry Fontaine, June 30, 2009, 10:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffry Fontaine

Trim Nail Care Products have a wide variety of items that are ideal for your hobby needs.

Black Salon Boards
2 surfaces: heavy duty (100 grit) and medium (180 grit)
I have been using these sanding sticks for several years now and there is an added benefit in that when the sanding stick expires (the sand paper is no longer sand paper) you can peel away the abrasive material and the foam tape adhesive backing from both sides and you have a nice polystyrene stick for scratch building projects once you have cleaned the adhesive from it.  I have tested it myself using Testor's liquid cement and the to pieces of stick are still stuck together after sitting for several years through temperature fluctuations in my storage unit.  I picked up a package containing two sanding sticks this evening for about $1.35 at WalMart which is significantly cheaper than the much more expensive Squadron name brand sanding sticks.  

While looking over the sanding sticks I discovered an interesting little battery powered polishing tool that retails for about ~$8.00. This is a cheap battery powered tool that could be used in lieu of the more expensive Dremel type motor tool.  Battery powered means it will be very portable and much lighter in weight.  I imagine it would be ideal for some types of model working but not for heavy duty cutting.  I may pick one of these up the next time I visit WalMart or at another store that carries the Trim product line, might be cheaper someplace else.  But I thought I should share this find with the WHIF community as soon as I got home.  
Portable Manicure System

• carry pouch included
  • complete set of tools to shape, file, and polish
  • compact size for easy use and convenient for travel
  • requires two AA batteries

There is another motorized product that is similar to the above polishing tool that I found on-line at the Trim web page that is also called a
Portable Manicure System but this one appears to contain abrasive type sanding wheels instead of polishing tools.
Portable Manicure System
  • complete set of tools to shape, file and polish
  • 2 speed setting for added control travel size
  • carry pouch included, requires 2 AA batteries (not included)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

lancer

Isn't it odd that all these nail care products lend them selves perfectly to modelling?
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Aircav

Yeah, though its lucky they don't market them for modellers or the price would treble.
"Subvert and convert" By Me  :-)

"Sophistication means complication, then escallation, cancellation and finally ruination."
Sir Sydney Camm

"Men do not stop playing because they grow old, they grow old because they stop playing" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Vertical Airscrew SIG Leader

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: lancer on July 04, 2009, 04:19:49 AMIsn't it odd that all these nail care products lend them selves perfectly to modelling?
Quote from: Aircav on July 04, 2009, 05:07:42 AMYeah, though its lucky they don't market them for modellers or the price would treble.
Fortunately we are not the targeted population for these products and the prices are reasonable unlike the items that have been branded as modeling tools and supplies which seem to be as Steve said, tripled in price over what can be had in the female cosmetic section and home care sections of most stores.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Weaver

Those look good Jeff - must be something similar over here.  :thumbsup:

I've found that my relatively powerful Dremel-clone (bought pre-modelling revival) is just too strong for a lot of jobs, and I've been contemplating buying something much smaller and less torquey that won't destroy/launch parts with half-an-ounce too much pressure or a hundred too many revs.

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on July 04, 2009, 05:28:51 PM
Fortunately we are not the targeted population for these products and the prices are reasonable unlike the items that have been branded as modeling tools and supplies which seem to be as Steve said, tripled in price over what can be had in the female cosmetic section and home care sections of most stores.

Same thing happens in biking. There's a product that's like an open cloth mesh that's been sprayed with foam:

From a cheapo-shop branded as a "drawer protector": £2.50 or less for a 30cm x 5m roll.

From a motorcycle accessories shop, branded as a "paint protector" (to go under soft luggage): £10 for a 50cm square....  :o:angry:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

tanktastic43

I purchased the 'Salon Shaper' , which looks very much like the  Trim portable manicure system, via JML, after seeing it on an info-mercial a few years ago. In fact it was buy one, get one free! I think it cost something like £9.99.
I only used it for sanding/grinding. But with a new project on the go I needed a cutting tool, so off I went to our local Hobbycraft, and bought myself a set of Rotacraft cutting saws, and lo and behold the mandrel fit perfectly.

I reckon I've saved myself about £60-70, and i have myself a very handy and versatile tool.

TT43.

AeroplaneDriver

I get a nail buffing stick at Wal-Mart that is great for modelling.  It is about 6in long with a square cross section, each side has two different grits, so it starts with a fairly coarse grit (120?) and goes to a super fine one that is great for polishing canopies (2000?)  It costs $1.99 and lasts forever.

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

IanH

For the Brits out there, look for the 'Royal 4 Step Nail Buffer' - perfect for our needs, and when worn out - excelent for mounting bits for spraying.