Nimrod MR2

Started by JayBee, June 29, 2009, 08:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayBee

In the early 1960's the British Royal Air Force started looking at the need for a replacement for the venerable Shackleton ASW/MR aircraft.
Several proposals wer received, Hawker Siddley with the HS 800, based on the Trident airliner and Vickers with variants of the VC-10 and Vanguard airliners.
Initially the higher transit speed of the jets made it look like the Vanguard would not be selected, however it was deemed that the turbo-prop had a good enough speed and had a far better un-refuelled endurance. Also the Vanguard already had the "Double-Bubble" fuselage so there would less development work required to accomodate weapons, ans systems, bays.
The Vanguard won the competition and took the name that had been allocated to the program - NIMROD (The Mighty Hunter).

This model was started about ten years ago and when it was resurected it was at the stage of having the fuselage shortened, both fore and aft, of the wings, and the new nose profile had been created.
So as far as build pictures there are only two, showing how the MAD boom was built up from a British Airways drinks swizzle stick.

Also how the fin/rudder was extended and the radar housing added, the latter from a 1/72 bomb half.

Other bits that were added were the Leigh Light in the starboard LE (from another swizzle stick), the ESM wingtip pods (from 1/48 Sidewinders), underwing pylons from plasticard, Harpoons and sidewinders from LS weapons sets, propellors from Welsh Models (Shackleton), rear airscoop from a 1/72 bomb, and observation blisters from, yes you guessed it , swizzle sticks.

That's all folks.

JimB
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

sideshowbob9

That is a fantastic model!  :wub: The dihedral on the tailplane and the contra-props really enhance the looks imho.

Altough it could use more swizzle sticks  ;D

Mossie

Lovely Maritime Vanguard!  Heard of the project, but I've never seen much info on it.  What kit did you use & how did you go about lengthening the nose?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

JayBee

Quote from: Mossie on June 29, 2009, 10:08:05 AM
Lovely Maritime Vanguard!  Heard of the project, but I've never seen much info on it.  What kit did you use & how did you go about lengthening the nose?
It is the old Airfix Vanguard in 1/144.
I had a plan in 1/144 for the RW Nimrod so that gave me the external shape for the nose. Cut a bit of plasticard as the keel and PSR, PSR, PSR. ad infinitum, until I was happy with it.

Really, nothing other than good old fashioned modelling skills ( he said modestly) LoL.

JimB

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Hobbes

Well done! Looks very natural.

kitnut617

Very nice, I like that a lot, is it a scale-o-rama Jim ?  I've got three 1/72 Vanguards in my stash and I've a couple of plans which include an AEW Vanguard and some sort of Maritime Patroller, now I've seen this I could see mine like this too.

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

JayBee

Quote from: kitnut617 on June 29, 2009, 11:59:44 AM
is it a scale-o-rama Jim ?  

Fraid not, I just like 1/144 scale. There was one done by another modeller here in Scotland, which I saw at the Scotish NATS a number of years ago, but it was very much more a Vanguard, and in the Hemp scheme. I just had the idea to do it "properly" ( no offence to the original builder).

OK, I confess, I did this for the fun of it!!

Coat, Hat, head hung in shame.

JimB

Oh, and Robert, you will need bigger swizzle sticks!

Cats are not real. 

kitnut617

Quote from: JayBee on June 29, 2009, 12:12:34 PM

Coat, Hat, head hung in shame.

JimB

No need to do that Jim, it's a brilliant concept   :thumbsup: :bow:
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

thedarkmaster

great concept and a great model........I am so very jealous  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

JayBee

Quote from: thedarkmaster on June 29, 2009, 12:19:23 PM

great concept and a great model........I am so very jealous  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Thanks DM, I had not thought of it in your alternate world (which I follow with great interset) but I do now see where it could fit.
But Please, Pretty Please, not anti flash white for an MR aircraft.

JimB

Cats are not real. 

thedarkmaster

Oh no not anti flash white........extra dark sea grey with a white fuselage top  :wub:  ;D
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

JayBee

Quote from: thedarkmaster on June 29, 2009, 01:28:57 PM

Oh no not anti flash white........extra dark sea grey with a white fuselage top  :wub:  ;D
Ach well, Maybe!

Cats are not real. 

Martin H

well she certainly looks as good as she sounded when u first told me about the project Jim :)

looking forward to seeing it on display on the SIG stand at some point
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Cool As...... :wub: :thumbsup:

That's a great concept, well executed: nice one!
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quote from: thedarkmaster on June 29, 2009, 12:19:23 PM

great concept and a great model........

What he said ! :thumbsup: - brilliant work Jim !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)