Modeling one aircraft throughout its life

Started by tigercat2, June 24, 2009, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

This may be an unusual subject, but has anyone built models of the same aircraft as it progressed throughout its service life?  For example, a good and perhaps reasonable subject might be an F-105B, first as a factory fresh aircraft, then in service with the 4th TFW, then as a Thunderbirds aircraft, then to the NJ ANG, both in NMF and SEA cammo, then perhaps to Hill AFB and finally to the boneyard.

Of course, some aircraft would be easier than others, all stages in the 50 years of a B-52's life might be a bit much, and all stages in the service life of an F-107 would be pretty easy.

Wes W.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: tigercat2 on June 24, 2009, 03:45:28 PMThis may be an unusual subject, but has anyone built models of the same aircraft as it progressed throughout its service life?  For example, a good and perhaps reasonable subject might be an F-105B, first as a factory fresh aircraft, then in service with the 4th TFW, then as a Thunderbirds aircraft, then to the NJ ANG, both in NMF and SEA cammo, then perhaps to Hill AFB and finally to the boneyard.

Of course, some aircraft would be easier than others, all stages in the 50 years of a B-52's life might be a bit much, and all stages in the service life of an F-107 would be pretty easy.

Model one exiting the Republic Aircraft Corporation assembly line and the other as it is heading to AMARC in Tucson.  The diorama base could be as simple as a piece of wood with simulated asphalt using sand paper and the aircraft could be positioned to face each other nose to nose or tail to tail with one looking like that brand new aircraft with a long career ahead and the other as it retired from that long career. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

pyro-manic

I have a two-stage Whiff planned - F-20 Tigershark in RAF service. An F.1 in QRA service in the mid-80s, and then an F.3 in modified form being used for Eurofighter systems trials in the late 90s. Could be the same aircraft... I have the second pretty much ready for paint, but the first is still in the box.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

Taiidantomcat

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 24, 2009, 11:51:11 PM
Quote from: tigercat2 on June 24, 2009, 03:45:28 PMThis may be an unusual subject, but has anyone built models of the same aircraft as it progressed throughout its service life?  For example, a good and perhaps reasonable subject might be an F-105B, first as a factory fresh aircraft, then in service with the 4th TFW, then as a Thunderbirds aircraft, then to the NJ ANG, both in NMF and SEA cammo, then perhaps to Hill AFB and finally to the boneyard.

Model one exiting the Republic Aircraft Corporation assembly line and the other as it is heading to AMARC in Tucson.  The diorama base could be as simple as a piece of wood with simulated asphalt using sand paper and the aircraft could be positioned to face each other nose to nose or tail to tail with one looking like that brand new aircraft with a long career ahead and the other as it retired from that long career. 

I like that, very profound.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

B777LR

Maybe do a Zimbabwe F-22:

1. Factory new, just painted

2. Following 2 years in service

3. 4 years of service, overgrown with plants, puntured tyres, canopy is broken, moss growing on the wings...

Or the F-35 in USAF:

1. Factory new

2. Following MLU

3. AMARC

4. Target drone

Gary

Sabre Jets would be a good build too, along with the the Mig 21.
Getting back into modeling

nev

F-4E springs to mind.  New in USAF SEA scheme, then Euro1, then Hill Grey, then passed on to another nation.  Trying to think who got 2nd hand USAF Es....Turkey, Israel in the 70s, Greece got some ex Luftwaffe F-4Fs, Egypt?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

B777LR

Quote from: nev on June 26, 2009, 12:05:07 AM
F-4E springs to mind.  New in USAF SEA scheme, then Euro1, then Hill Grey, then passed on to another nation.  Trying to think who got 2nd hand USAF Es....Turkey, Israel in the 70s, Greece got some ex Luftwaffe F-4Fs, Egypt?

Or go along the whiff road :thumbsup:

Joe C-P

Maybe toss a whiff in the middle of a real history, just for fun.

Would it be a single aircraft, or a single model of aircraft, or the history of a designation? The first, of course, would be the hardest.

I wonder if this could be done with some civilian aircraft, too?

This, of course, can also be done with ships, as I'm doing with the USS New Jersey, BB-62.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Sauragnmon

As with Joe, I have plans to do, ironically, the Yamato class through their progression - As Built, Full plan Refit, Shinano as Planned, and the Super Yamato.  Of course, I also have a whif BBGHN Yamato plan in there.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

philp

Had a similar idea for a Collection.
5 stages of one of the pillboxes in Normandy.

1) Location before the war
2) Under construction
3) D-Day - 1
4) D-Day (thinking US soldier taking surrender of German)
5) D-Day + 50 years (US soldier and German Veterans shaking hands)

Or something like that.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Nick

Years ago I had an idea for a rotating display using figures set during The Great War.

Some Corner of A Foreign Field

To be modelled in quarters on a round base with a painted backdrop separating each segment.

On Parade - New recruits marching down a street to a troopship
In The Trench - Soldiers in muddy winter gear standing guard, drinking tea and smoking
Over The Top - Officer leads the charge out of the trench and over the barbed wire
Requisat in Pacem - A standard marble gravestone with a poppy wreath, maybe an old civilian paying respects.

I do not consider my modelling skills, particularly with figures, to be capable of producing a decent result at this time.

NARSES2

Nick thats a fantastic idea. One I'd truely love to see
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

B777LR

The Technical Museum in Elsinore has the wreckage of a Luftwaffe BV138 that was sunk off Copenhagen during a post war air display by RAF Tempests in 1945. Next to the wreckage is a 4 peice diorama of that same aircraft during the war, being strafed during the display, on the sea bed and following recovery.

Quote from: Nick on June 28, 2009, 12:27:35 PM
Years ago I had an idea for a rotating display using figures set during The Great War.

Some Corner of A Foreign Field

To be modelled in quarters on a round base with a painted backdrop separating each segment.

On Parade - New recruits marching down a street to a troopship
In The Trench - Soldiers in muddy winter gear standing guard, drinking tea and smoking
Over The Top - Officer leads the charge out of the trench and over the barbed wire
Requisat in Pacem - A standard marble gravestone with a poppy wreath, maybe an old civilian paying respects.

I've seen quite a few of those, except they were built into one. Troops being trained in one end of the diorama, and fighting in the other end, etc.

Also seen it done with naval ships. That particular diorama was set in 1801, and the ships are shown at anchor under Danish flag, and sailing off under British flag... :lol:

NARSES2

Quote from: B787 on June 29, 2009, 03:06:34 AM

Also seen it done with naval ships. That particular diorama was set in 1801, and the ships are shown at anchor under Danish flag, and sailing off under British flag... :lol:

Ah one of the sadder episodes of the Napoleonic Wars - Battle of Copenhagen. Still gave Wellington his first taste of European command and he named his horse Copenhagen afterwards.

Where is the Elsinore tech museum Thomas ? and don't say Elsinore !  ;D I'm in Copenhagen in September for a Stag bash and us "oldies" need a break from the kids at some point  :banghead:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.