Triple Jet Buccaneer

Started by sotoolslinger, June 22, 2009, 12:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sotoolslinger

Howdy y'all ;D Sorry I have not been around for a while . I have had serious creators block lately. :angry: Taking the advice of a certain noisy vermin I am back at the bench. :thumbsup:
Here are some preview pics of my latest project , an interceptor version of the Buccaneer.This will have the original twin engines of the Buc with an additional (big  :wacko:) engine centerline :o

This is my first Airfix kit  :blink: WOW what a POS  :angry: :banghead: The fit is horrible. If I was building this OOB I would chuck it.

The basis is the 1/48  Airfix which I was able to obtain from the ''Support the Kids" table (pay for the make and takes) of Scooterman's local IPMS chapter. :thumbsup:

As you can see the fit is to die for.....that is, I want to make the manufacturer die.....
I am adding a big effin radar nose from a Phantom

But the main change will be to eliminate the tail airbrake and install a big BMJ :wacko:

This will be fed from a belly intake ( from some snakelike plane)

This will test my putty fu :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Weaver

Nice to see you back Ron - welcome to the cheap seats...... ;D :banghead:

That's an excellent idea - kind of like a UK version of the NA349 interceptor proposal, which was a Vigilante with a third engine.  :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

sotoolslinger

Thanks Y'all ;D :thumbsup: Getting past the block is the hardest part :banghead:
QUESTION: Big ol turbojet or ram jet for the center engine????
I amuse me.

cthulhu77

OOOOH.. a ram jet !!! That would be one hell of an interceptor !

(on a side note, pick up your undies prior to taking pics, or at least show us the missus's)

sotoolslinger

Dammit I have got to start paying more attention to composition :o :blink:
I amuse me.

Jeffry Fontaine

WOW!  Considering the Buccaneer kit for such modification is a real surprise and in some circles most welcome ;^)
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sotoolslinger

Well I'll tell you the truth. I have been looking for a Buc for years. This is the first I have ever seen. It is my first Airfix. If it is indicative of the quaility of Airfix kits I won't have an other. :blink:
I amuse me.

Eddie M.

WHOOO HOOO!! The Man is back!!
Looking forward to your work!! :ph34r: :cheers:
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Good to see you back at it.  For a minute there, I almost deleted the links to your Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, Friendster, Yahooble, Gonadster, MSNaughtee, and All-Wiccan-Delights pages.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

buzzbomb

Yessssss !

Great vision there.
The fuel issue will need resolving, but will allow you to use the extended tanks for the South African version of the Bucc, if you got the Naval version of the kit.

yep the Airfix kit is "agricultural" but it comes up ok and other than some Vacforms is the only game in town at that scale.

Liking what I see so far

jcf

Quote from: sotoolslinger on June 22, 2009, 02:53:09 PM
If it is indicative of the quaility of Airfix kits I won't have an other. :blink:

Its not, the Bucc fuselage fit problems are mainly due to the questionable kit-engineering decision
of splitting the entire fuselage horizontally.

The other Airfix 1/48th kits of approximately the same period as the Bucc, the Lightning and late-model Spits,
are actually quite nice.

Airfix has its bugaboos to be sure, and a lot of the moulds are old, but they still have loads of good subjects.

Jon

BlackOps

YAY! Ron's back!  :thumbsup:  ;D   Sounds like it's gonna be cool.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

B777LR

So this is the interceptor version? Cool!

upnorth

The 1/48 Bucc was not Airfix's finest hour. To be fair the Buccaneer would be a challenge to any manufacturer given that it is a flying testament to the compound curve (if there's one straight line on that beast I'd be surprised). and Airfix could have approached the fuselage engineering differently. The rear fuselage pretty much had to be split horizontally but the forward fuselage should have been made separately with vertical separation. The exhausts should have been separate components completely.

Anyway, I'm looking real forward to what you do with this one.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

nev

QuoteThis is my first Airfix kit   WOW what a POS    The fit is horrible. If I was building this OOB I would chuck it.

*gasps*  Careful, or you'll have Airfix Anti-Defamation League onto you!  Don't you know that "with a little bit of work" it turns into a "perfectly acceptable" Bucc? ;)  Or, furthermore, that its "the only 1/48 Bucc out there".  Good job you didn't say that on BM, or this would be a 7 page slanging match by now....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May