Vacuforming Box

Started by John Howling Mouse, February 15, 2004, 06:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Look what I built today.  

Okay, okay, I realized it's very humble beginnings but, while I wait for my technie-buddy from work to build the "real" machine, I'm going to start with this most basic of vac-boxes.  This little gem is only 3" x 10" x 10" and is suitable for vac-forming up to 0.040" 12" x 12" sheets heated in the good old oven.  For now, it's just plumbed in to use my Shop*Vac whenever needed.  I may add a second-stage vacuum source if needed (likely just a bicycle pump with the cylinder's cup reversed).  And this is how the exchange went tonight:

JHM to Ms. Hitler:  "Hey, whaddya think, hon?"

Ms. Hitler:  "That's nice, Barry.  You've built a ... box."

JHM:  "That's no box, baby.  That's whatever clear canopy I'll ever need.  Or reshaped intakes for a 1:48 PS-2 Arrow.  Or any kind of Pratt & Whitney Canada turbo engines I've ever wanted in any scale.  Or copies of any kit part I've ever wished I had more of."

Can you picture my wife rolling her eyes?  :rolleyes:  She's actually very well versed in vacforming basics by now but I don't think she yet realizes that this simple version will require my use of the household oven for heating styrene.

And, before you ask, yes----I do have a new fire extinguisher.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Ollie

Cool Barry!

Now, as we said earlier, do us a favour and mold a canadian 1/48 Chipmunk canopy and we'll order the Aeroclub kit en masse!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteCool Barry!

Now, as we said earlier, do us a favour and mold a canadian 1/48 Chipmunk canopy and we'll order the Aeroclub kit en masse!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Do you have reference photos, drawings, dimensions?  Or is there any kit that already got it right, even if their injection-molded canopy was too think?   I could make a female mold of that and vac-form nice thin copy.

Ollie

I'll check in the books we have at the aiport and will email you my findings.

:wub:  

John Howling Mouse

QuoteI'll check in the books we have at the aiport and will email you my findings.

:wub:
As our friend, Jean-Marc says:  "Supper-Dupper, Buddy!"

Ollie

John Howling Mouse

Might not be the most exotic looking piece of machinery in the world but it opens up a whole new world (well, 9 by 9 inches, anyhow) of possibilities!

What should I vacuform first?  I have to test out the plastic, my oven, my vac-source, etc. so the first test items might not be of good and merchantable quality but, they'll be interesting.

I'm considering making some female plaster molds off various P&W engine halves.

Any "simple" ideas from you guys would be appreciated (other than 1:32 TSR-2 etc. that would take a month to shape the patterns!).

John Howling Mouse

Oh, yeah:

THANKS, ROB!!! [/size] (The Talented One who welded the excellent frame, which fits like a glove over my wooden vac-box)

John Howling Mouse

Came home with a stack of 4' x 8' white styrene and clear PET-G today!

Getting there...big learning curve (and some cursing) coming up...

^_^  

nev

Quotebig learning curve (and some cursing) coming up...

^_^
so be sure to vacform only when your daughter isn't around!
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Quotebig learning curve (and some cursing) coming up...

^_^
so be sure to vacform only when your daughter isn't around!
SHE's the one I learned all the worst words from!

;)