Some What-if Buccaneers.. and coupla Lightnings

Started by buzzbomb, June 19, 2009, 05:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

Love the Buccaneer..the best RAF aircraft never to sell.. South African Experiment aside.
I have done a couple for a display some years ago on a Project Cancelled/No Sale theme
First the RAAF Buccanner.. the RAAF asked.. "if it is so good, why hasn't the RAF got them".. It was.. and they did.

There were fanciful Ideas to sell the US Navy as well as an alternative to the Intruder

The Luftwaffe were offered the Bucc.. but instead bought that other purpose designed Maritime strike aircraft.. the F104 Starfighter.. sheeesh!

Probably been here before buy my take on the Lightning in RAAF markings

English Electric also had plans for a Naval version..

with swing wings no less

cheers

srkirad

There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

tigercat2

Fantastic!!  Your work puts my USAF Buc to shame!

Like to see more.

Wes W.

nev

Whoa!  Way to make an entry! :wub:

Been wanting to do an MFG Bucc for a long while, but have been waiting (and waiting) for someone to release a half decent kit (in 72 or 48)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Mossie

Very nice!  Especially keen on the Aussie Bucc! :wub:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Taiidantomcat

Excellent models!  :wub: the A-6 version really stands out to me  :cheers:
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Maverick

Nice stuff BB, love the Buccs especially.

Regards,

Mav

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

John Howling Mouse

Fantastic entrance, buzzbomb!  Glad you found this little pool of insanity.

Would you mind if I borrowed and modified your swing-wing Lightning concept?  I would fill in the void b/w the outswung wing and have a fixed sort of cranked double-delta wing....mmmmm....
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Weaver

Outstanding - you appear to have hacked into my head via the site though, which is slightly worrying.... ;D

I'ts hard to believe the Marineflieger at least couldn't be sold the Bucc - it could have been designed for their mission (bomb bay full of fuel and 4 x Kormorans..... :wub:).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

buzzbomb

Thanks for the kind words folks.. I have lurked here for quite a while and thought I should actually contribute.
Hopefully some more to come.

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 20, 2009, 09:03:36 AM
Fantastic entrance, buzzbomb!  Glad you found this little pool of insanity.

Would you mind if I borrowed and modified your swing-wing Lightning concept?  I would fill in the void b/w the outswung wing and have a fixed sort of cranked double-delta wing....mmmmm....

go for you life, but not my idea really, the English Electric Folks thought of it first. On page 49 of the Warbird Tech Series(nr 28) on the Lighting by Kev Darling, there is a drawing of the Naval Concept like this :thumbsup:
I just liked and it fitted the display we were having so I wizzed one up.

Martin H

That navy Lightning certainly puts the one i built back in the stone age to shame.

BTW im currently restoreing it after a major cat 3 smash. its going to be re done in a simler scheme to yours :) wont look half as good thou.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

nev

Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2009, 09:49:44 AM
Outstanding - you appear to have hacked into my head via the site though, which is slightly worrying.... ;D

I'ts hard to believe the Marineflieger at least couldn't be sold the Bucc - it could have been designed for their mission (bomb bay full of fuel and 4 x Kormorans..... :wub:).

Oh, they wanted the Bucc (or the F-4), but were told they were getting the 104 by the German government in the intrests of "commonallity" (clearly Blackburn didn't offer a big enough bribe ;) )
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Weaver

Quote from: nev on June 21, 2009, 05:15:00 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 20, 2009, 09:49:44 AM

Oh, they wanted the Bucc (or the F-4), but were told they were getting the 104 by the German government in the intrests of "commonallity" (clearly Blackburn didn't offer a big enough bribe ;) )

Uh huh - missed off the "G" for "Germany" too: how naive of them....... :rolleyes:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones