The Single Kit Kitbash GB

Started by puddingwrestler, June 14, 2009, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puddingwrestler

As you may have noticed, I have a tendency to 'single kit kitbashes' - this does not mean everyone kitbashes the same kit, it actually means that ALL kit parts used in the kitbash must come from a single kit. So choosing the kit is rather important.

The idea is as follows:
Using ONLY parts from a single kit, kitbash it into something totally different (I've turned an 80s Ford Mustang into a space ship, and I am working on a Retro SF drone fighter made from BF110 parts).
Raw materials may be used, but may not make up more than say one third of the final model (For the 80s mustang bash, I used plasticard along with glue sticks and giant toy diamond rings from the $2 shop).
Decals may be sourced from anywhere, they do not have to come from the kit.
You do not have to use all the parts from the kit.

This is a challenge of invention, imagination and ingenuity. You need to find a donor kit which provides enough parts to build from, and also involved shapes which you can work with. It can lead to using parts in very unusual ways and developing very unusual designs in order to get the thing to work.

Who is up for this?
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Ed S

This could be interesting.  I'm always interested in the creative results of this sort of GB.

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

AeroplaneDriver

Sounds interesting to me...I can see a lot of sci-fi potential from a Revell 1/48 A-10....

So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Weaver

Sounds interesting - pick a kit with lots of built-in options......

Couple of suggestions:

1. Could you use a SMALL percentage of parts from other kits, say no more than 10% and nothing that's core structure? I'm just thinking of "dressing" stuff like the odd extra gun barrel, or a different-length undercarriage leg, that sort of thing....

2. Could you use some parts (not sure what percentage) from another copy (or copies) of the EXACT same kit? For instance, I have two different sets of leftovers from Airfix Magisters, which don't amount to a whole model between them, but could be very interesting when added to another whole kit.....
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Brian da Basher

This is a very interesting idea and might pose me a bit of a challenge. I like the idea of allowing a certain percentage of "spares" and scratch-built parts to help keep the challenge manageable. ;)
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

pyro-manic

Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

puddingwrestler

Greeblies from other kits are out. That would be cheating. If, however you can find raw material greeblies (ie: cheap $2 shop toys etc.) they are allowed, BUT must be bought for the challenge.

BlackOps

Would scratch built parts be allowed?   This sounds like a fun build  :thumbsup:
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

puddingwrestler

Scratch built parts are made from raw materials, and thus fall under the raw materials restriction of no more than one third of the final product.

BlackOps

Cool, I hope putty doesn't count in that more than 1/3  ;D
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

puddingwrestler

Hmmmm... putty rules...

Well, you can use as much putty as you want to fill gaps and blend shapes. However, if the putty is skillfully skulpted into the actual model (ie: if the model is infact scultped from putty) then it must count to the 1/3 limit.

Also: Wargames figures are totally eligable for this GB. Any conversions done using only parts from a single figure (or in the case of multi-part plastics only using parts from one box) are acceptable.

Joe C-P

Quite a challenge!
I'd prefer the most basic - one kit and one kit only, plus glue, paint, and limited putty.

Now to the hobby closet!

JoeP
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Weaver

In view of my recent purchasing record, I feel I should submit a four-seat, three-radared Meteor NF.111214 to this exercise: don't hold your breath though!  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

puddingwrestler

I've decided to formalise the rules somewhat so everyone knows how this one works. Afterall, this GB is not totally self explanatory and the rules do become very important. Don't want anyone voting for it only to realise it's not what they thought.

1: The kitbash is to be based upon a single model kit. That is one kit and one kit only. And only one copy of the kit; you may not use fifteen Italeri F-22s to make a super-dooper stretch triplane F-22. ONE. KIT. ONLY.

2: You may not use model parts which do not come from the one kit. Not even one. So you must be cunning and crafty.

3: Raw materials may not account for more than 1/3 of the model. Raw materials are defined as any hobby material not from the kit (ie: plasticard, bread clips, putty, rod, tube, wood etc.)

4: Putty can be used to blend shapes together freely and fill gaps. However, if it is sculpted to form detail parts, then it counts towards the 1/3 raw materials limit.

5: You may also use parts from toys or junk as part of the raw materials limit. However, all these parts MUST be listed at the start of the build thread; preferably with photos.

6: There are no restrictions on where the decals come from.

7: There are no restrictions on where the paint comes from (although anyone purchasing a kit which includes paint may be prevailed upon to use that paint  :rolleyes:)

8: You do not have to use all the kit parts if you do not want or need to.

9: If you have enough parts, you can make more than one kitbash from the kit! :thumbsup:

10: There is no restriction on subject whatever, although those who can kitbash a single kit so effectively that it no longer looks like the original prototype are likely to do better in the voting.

11: Okay, so there are some restrictions... taking a BF-109A and converting it to a 109B using only raw materials is not really in the spirit of the build at all. You need to make fairly large changes to the look of the thing.

12: Anyone using a donor kit from the 1970s or earlier will receieve enourmous respect for making the kit collectors cry.

13: Anyone assassinated by the JMN as a result of the GB will find his widow/family/cat lavishly compensated out of GB funds to the tune of a tin of sardines. Or something.

14: Rules disputes will be settled by a fight to the death in an igloo armed with walruses. Er... the duelists will have the walruses. Not the igloo. Althoguh that could be interesting...

Hopefully this covers everything, apart from the mandatory:

15: There is no rule 15. But there is a rule 6. Because I can.

SinUnNombre

Well, I just recently started a bash using a spare P-38 canopy and some plastic sheet to make a 1/32 scale Ferrari 312T2 slot car. Well, not exactly a 312T2, but inspired by/based on. Certainly looks 1976-77ish. Not totally within the rules, since much more than 1/3 is raw materials, but certainly within the spirit. What I'm trying to say is that I'm in. I don't have a computer or internet right now, I only do when I'm at my parents' house, which is maybe twice a month. So updating will be tough. But I really want to redeem myself with all the GBs I've failed in the past, and this seems absolutely perfect.

Jon