Mashatu Game Reserve Huey DONE

Started by John Howling Mouse, June 14, 2009, 02:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

The BUILD thread is located here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22516.msg324352.html#msg324352

I found an interesting new website on the internet---here's a screen print of the webpage:

Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

John Howling Mouse

Here are some better images:

I love this backdrop: you can practically feel the jungle humidity before the thunderstorm.

An underside shot, taken back in January, I think!

NightOps:

The BUILD thread is located here: http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,22516.msg324352.html#msg324352

John Howling Mouse

For those of us "older" types, here is the text from the web article:

The Mashatu Game Reserve is a 75,000 acre wildlife sanctuary located within the greater Northern Tuli Game Reserve of Botswana, bordering South Africa.  A safe haven to various endangered species, Mashatu boasts some of the world's largest surviving populations of African Elephant, Lions, Giraffes, Eland, and Ostriches, among several others.

In recent years, as the populations of various endangered species have dwindled, their black market value has increased dramatically.  A status symbol of conspicuous consumption for the very wealthy, the possession of live wildlife has become the height of fashion in upper circles of the rich and famous.  Celebrities such as country music star Tanya Lee and adult film producer Aleksandr Putin have publicly defended their "right" to possess such animals even though the only way to obtain them is allegedly through illegal poaching.

For the past decade, Mashatu has been especially hard-hit as the ever-rising value of stolen exotic wildlife has driven elite mercenary teams into the growing wildlife poaching industry.  Heavily armed, well-trained, and equipped with the best equipment money can buy, it began to look as though there would be no stopping these high-tech animal thieves.

Enter one Terri Jones-Thayer,  former Revlon model, widow of famed Nautilus inventor, Arthur Jones, and, perhaps more importantly, an avid aviator and animal rights activist who just happens to be extremely wealthy and equally well-connected.  Once one of the world's youngest certified Boeing 707 pilots, Jones-Thayer now co-manages the Jumbolair Aviation Estates located near Ocala, Florida.

While married to the late Arthur Jones, the pair had developed their 350 acre Florida estate first into a private wildlife refuge housing numerous exotic species which would have otherwise perished, then into the 550 acre Jumbolair Aviation Estates from which, celebrity pilots such as John Travolta can operate their jumbo-jets from their mansions as easily as most people enter their automobile garage from their own homes.

It seemed, therefore, that funding airborne anti-poaching activities at a place such as Mashatu was a role Ms. Jones-Thayer was uniquely born to fill.  In 2015, she commenced what she called Operation Air-Shield and financed Mashatu's first armed aviation asset: an ex-Israeli Bell UH-1D helicopter.  Fully re-fitted with hardware financed by Jones-Thayer, some of the anti-poaching equipment includes: dual-IR/HS night sensors, a 3rd-generation FLIR system mated to a Lockheed Martin target sight system, a motorized forward searchlight, port cabin-mounted twin .50-cal machine guns and modified 20mm M197 3-barrelled Gatling gun sets mounted both port and starboard (fully articulated).

As the enormous reserve in Mashatu is considered privately held land, Botswana law permits the use of whatever defensive assets the landowner deems necessary and actions taken by the sponsored anti-poaching aircrews operating the helicopter have not met with any reprisals from the authorities.

"It's surprising how much of an impact a single helicopter can provide," Ms. Jones-Thayer remarked at a recent WWF gathering of fellow animal rights activists. "Provided," she added, "that it's the right helicopter."

philp

Another great build.

Glad I didn't take up poaching.

And this Ms Jones-Thayer sounds like a keeper.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

sotoolslinger

I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

The Rat

Watch out folks, this is his second post of a finished model this month. If he's started taking this seriously we're all going to look like chumps!  ;D

Excellent build again Barry, and great presentation!  :thumbsup: :cheers:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Ed S

Another fine build, Barry.  I especially like the photo with the clouds in the background.  Very realistic.

:thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Sisko

Nice Huey!!!

I always love your builds!
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

kitnut617

Brilliant Barry, very well done as usual
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

ChernayaAkula

That's just great!  :bow: Brilliant idea and backstory, brilliant build and brilliant pics!  :bow:
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Captain Canada

That's a beauty, Baz ! I love old Hueys to bits.....and that one just looks wicked !

My only suggestion would be to pitch the doors. You can't close 'em anyway, and maybe you could carry a few more rounds ( of beer ) without them !

:thumbsup:

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

nev

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 14, 2009, 02:49:06 PM

I found an interesting new website on the internet---here's a screen print of the webpage:

You clever, clever man! :D

Now, hows that WUH doing? ;)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Sheer brilliance, as usual, simple as that  :thumbsup:

Ian
(All you need now is a WUH to fly 'shotgun'...... Well someone was going to say it, eh ? :blink:)

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

That looks fantastic - well done!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones