Revell 1/144 F-16 RAF

Started by srkirad, June 14, 2009, 07:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkirad

Hello everybody! :)

This project of mine is something I did just for fun, and to get rid of "not so good" model kit, and some old decals that were rest from Airfix EF2000...

Anyway, kit is Revell 1/144 F-16 - probably Academy re-boxing!

Photos I will put in this topic, and of course in future for all of my projects, are clickable thumbnails, so click on these tiny photos to get bigger photo in separate window ;)

Model as itself is really awful, with lot of places that needed to be filled with putty, or to get in shape...

As kit didn't have interior I decided to spice it up a bit, with adding scratchbuilt ejection seat and instrument panel...

After finishing all of those puttying, sanding and gluing jobs, I finally came to painting process...

As I didn't like decals given in box (USAF) which depicted standard USAF cammo for F-16, which, in my opinion, is very boring, I decided to do F-16 "what-if" project! :)

And the story says...

"During the mid-90's, the RAF needed a true fighter plane, as a replacement for Tornado F.3.  While the Eurofighter was still in the development phase, they had no choice but to lease old F-16A fighter planes from USA. The RAF decided not to arm these F-16s with cannons, but only with AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles, so the cannon was "deleted" from the airframe... the F-16 livery for the RAF was similar to the one to be used on Eurofighter, and actually was used on one of the Eurofighter prototypes.  A "False canopy" was also painted on the bottom side of the plane."

so I did it...

I painted false canopy with brush - I didn't want to fire-up my compressor for this tiny detail :P :D

I used decals from Airfix 1/72 EF2000

and here is the final "product"

There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
Administrator of Serbian modelling forum "Maketarski Kutak"
www.maketarskikutak.com

Sauragnmon

Nicely done, the overall look is good - daring, to make the cockpit details in 144 like that.  I applaud your cojones.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

B777LR

That kit is the first F-16 i ever made! Still got it somewhere :thumbsup:

Nice job on it :wub:

srkirad

thanx guys, I'm glad you like it :)

unfortunately, these are the old photos (kit is finished in late 2007.) - I improved my photographer's "skills" during past two years  :lol: so some new projects will be definitely better visible than this one ;)

oh yes, I forgot to mention that only detail I really didn't have nerves to change/improve was canopy, and unfortunately this details is VERY visible on kit :( it looks so...hmm.. flat? :-/

anyway, one old kit down... so many still to go!  :party:
There's a grey place between black and white, but everyone does have the right to choose the path that he takes...
www.maketarskikutak.com

John Howling Mouse

You weren't kidding when you said the base kit was truly awful.  Makes the quality of your fine end result all the more appreciable.   :thumbsup:
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Captain Canada

Very nice work on that one...the finished product is a eal beauty ! The F-16 looks greta in RAF colours, eh ?

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Nick

Nice work especially with the Revell kit!

I would point you to a website comparing all the different F-16 kits but it's gone from the Net :banghead:. All I can say from memory is that Lee/Arii/LS are the better starting points for 1/144 F-16 kits.

srkirad

thanx for nice comments :)

Quote from: Nick on June 14, 2009, 03:41:25 PM
All I can say from memory is that Lee/Arii/LS are the better starting points for 1/144 F-16 kits.

I'm sure that there are better 144s than this one, but this one was the only available here in Serbia - unfortunately, as regards of japanese manufacturers, they are available mostly through internet shopping....

Anyway, I hope to do few more 144 what-ifs... but we'll see what and when will be the subject ;)

Best regards,
Srdjan
www.maketarskikutak.com

Brian da Basher

1/144 is a great scale because you can get away with things that would be difficult indeed in larger scales and the kit price is usually very reasonable.

This is one very slick, clean build and the false canopy is a nice touch!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

sotoolslinger

Holy crap :o I can not imagine working that small :bow:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

srkirad

thanx guys :)

I agree with Brian regarding to smaller scales - they're almost perfect for various experiments, especially having their cheap price on mind... but... the other side of the medal is their "size"  :lol: .. they often have details that are visible only with magnifying glass :D .. but, somehow that's what makes me go further - a real challenge to build!

I have in stock >20 1/144 models so, there are a lot of posibilities for future projects ;)
www.maketarskikutak.com

Weaver

Nice Job, particularly bearing in mind the starting kit - well done! :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

BlackOps

Came out quite well  :thumbsup:  I agree, the F-16 looks pretty darned good in those markings.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Sauragnmon

You know... I think I might have had one of these as a kid, when I was young... garishly painted, flying around the back 40 of my family's farm or the junkyard of my buddy's place... I used to have the 1/144 fighters, they were low cost, and something quick and simple to assemble.
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.