USAF Banshee

Started by tigercat2, June 11, 2009, 08:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigercat2

The other day someone (who is a Banshee fan) wondered if I had a Banjo done up as a USAF bird.  I did not, but it gave me a great idea, so I whipped one out, along with an Alpha jet and a USAF Skyhawk.

Wes W.

tigercat2

One more shot of the Banjo, and an A-4 plus AlphaJet

Wes W.

NARSES2

You "whipped up" those ? Flaming Nora -  the NMF on that A4 is far better then anything I could achieve in a month  :thumbsup:

Chris (who hates NMF with a relish - Branston if you've got it  ;D)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

thedarkmaster

OOOOHHHHH like that Alpha jet  :wub:  :wub:
Everything looks better with the addition of British Roundels!

the Empires Twilight facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Empires-twilight/167640759919192

"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz

jorel62

Love the Scooter..... But, that Banshee is smoking!!!!

sideshowbob9

The Banshee is sweet! I have a thing for dayglo orange  ;D

Quote.....with a relish - Branston if you've got it  ;D

Boo!!!!

Captain Canada

Nice work ! Love the NMF Banshee...now that looks right ! The Skyhawk is a real beauty as well. Also appreciate the less jumbled photos...easier on the eye than seeing fifty planes in there !

:wub:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

tigercat2

Thanks so much for the complements.  The orange day-glo came out particularly well; it was actually very inexpensive (50 cents) acryllic paint from Michael's craft store, applied over flat white.  It seems very vivid.

More USAF A-4s to follow

Wes W.

Ed S

"whipped one out..."   Nice job.  They look really good.   :thumbsup:

Ed
We don't just embrace insanity here.  We feel it up, french kiss it and then buy it a drink.

Weaver

NICE paint jobs!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That'd be a Starfix Alphajet, methinks?  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat2

The AlphaJet was a 1/72 Matchbox kit; a total What if on the paint and decals.

Wes W.

tigercat2

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 12, 2009, 01:30:30 AM
You "whipped up" those ? Flaming Nora -  the NMF on that A4 is far better then anything I could achieve in a month  :thumbsup:

Chris (who hates NMF with a relish - Branston if you've got it  ;D)

I do not want to disappoint you, but the NMF finish on the A-4 (and the Banshee) was extremely easy;  first a coat of Testors flat white as a primer, sanded a bit, then I masked the appropriate areas, and sprayed a coat of Testors silver (both white and silver from the rattlecans, purchased at Michael's craft store for about $3.00).  Then I applied Rub 'n Buff to the NMF areas, orange to the appropriate areas on the Banjo over the white, hit the models with Testors Glosscoat, applied the decals and was done.   The Banjo, AlphaJet and A-4 were done in just a few hours, working a few minutes at the time. 

The AlphaJet was brush painted a light German blue, and the red stripes were from an F-86 sheet in my decal stash.  I don't bother with interior details at all, usually not even a seat; I enjoy the painting and especially the decalling the best.

Wes W.

Wes W.

bobbo

Wes, I certainly love the BMF Banjo.  I've been a sucker for them since I got back into modelling back in, what, 1986?  Do you have any more?  Maybe in Kriegsmarine colors?  JASDF?  RN?  And how would a swept wing Banjo look?  

Oh, yes . . . What kit did you use?

Bobbo

tigercat2

Yes I do have another Banjo, in SEA Cammo.  It is a What if, of course, and is beside a Navy F-84F (probably would have been called FR-1).

The NMF and Navy Banjo are the Hobbycraft 1/72 kit; the cammo Banjo is the Airfix 1/72 kit.  If I get more Banshees, I plan to do them in various schemes.

Wes W.

sideshowbob9

QuoteNavy F-84F (probably would have been called FR-1)

I was recently going through some books of mine and found out that Seversky did a SEV/P-35 variant for the Navy designated FN-1. I've just finished updating my model database and one of the last things I did was adjust all my Republic Navy birds from 'R' to 'N'. This has the added benefit of freeing 'R' for some later Ryan stuff.

I plan to do the whole range from FN (P-35), F2N (P-47), F3N (F-84s - running to suitably high numbers for the swept wing variants) & F4N for the XF-91. Before some of you laugh at the Thunderceptor on a carrier, it had a variable-incidence wing, resulting in some good low speed handling. I have one in perpetual WIP developed along the lines of the F3H Demon.

To bring this back on topic, my "Republic Navy thing" was probably inspired by you posting that very F-84 pic many moons ago  :thumbsup: