F-22N - Navy swing wing Raptor

Started by Benjo, June 07, 2009, 11:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjo

Hey guys. wow its been a while since i been on here. long time since i have done a whif. but heres the next one

just trying the layout. obviuos changes are the swing wing, it will also have different shaped elevators, fatter tail hook. an airbrake on the spine somehwere, foreward opening main gear doos to souble up as airbrakes like a mig-31. A twin nosewheel, and maybe a VF-103 painjob or a Royal Australian Navy paintjob.
Being creative can be a gift - And a curse...

Jeffry Fontaine

Looks like a good start.  What do you have planned for your weapons load out?
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Benjo

Amraams and aim9x's i guess.
I havnt decided yet if i'll increase the fixed part of the wing but if i do ill probably put a fuel tank on each side.

Benny

cthulhu77

Love it !  Much prettier than the bulky 35 !

chrisonord

This is looking good, I will be watching this progress thats for sure  :thumbsup:
Chris.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

B777LR

Quote from: cthulhu77 on June 08, 2009, 07:04:25 AM
Love it !  Much prettier than the bulky 35 !

Only thing is, the naval F-35 is the only F-35 that looks really nice :wub:

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: Benjo on June 08, 2009, 04:10:27 AMAmraams and aim9x's i guess.
I havnt decided yet if i'll increase the fixed part of the wing but if i do ill probably put a fuel tank on each side.
That is a good start.  I thought maybe you were going to add in some AIM-54 Phoenix to the weapons bay to be a little different and give it some added punch for those pesky Badgers, Backfires, and Blackjacks.
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

sv51macross

Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 08, 2009, 11:31:51 AM
That is a good start.  I thought maybe you were going to add in some AIM-54 Phoenix to the weapons bay to be a little different and give it some added punch for those pesky Badgers, Backfires, and Blackjacks.

That sounds cool actually, one AIM-54 (with folded fins like the Vympel R-33) on a drop-mount (no trapeez) in one bay and three AIM-120s in the other, with AIM-9X in the side bays.

Af for Benjo's idea of increasing the fixed portion of the wing, something like the Su-17/22 would look cool, plus you would have more internal fuel cap. as well as a stronger (potentially?) fuselage and thus higher G-forces. If that's what's doing though my worry is low-speed handling because the Su-22 was a sh!t pig in a dogfight (even a TF-30 kittycat could shoot one down!). My recommendation might be to alter the Tomcat wings so they have fowler flaps (biiiiiiig fowler flaps) or maybe even go so far as to add canards.

Definitely cool Benny! :thumbsup:

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: sv51macross on June 08, 2009, 12:12:00 PM
Quote from: Jeffry Fontaine on June 08, 2009, 11:31:51 AM
That sounds cool actually, one AIM-54 (with folded fins like the Vympel R-33) on a drop-mount (no trapeez) in one bay and three AIM-120s in the other, with AIM-9X in the side bays.

If you add folding wings to the Phoenix missiles you could might be able to get one in each weapons bay with two AIM-120 AMRAAMs which would add one more AMRAAM to your load.  Still up to Benny to decide on what he wants to do with it as it is his project and we are but the audience in this play.

Benjo

the weapons bays are too shallow for AIM-54's. I really want this too look like a beast i just feel that a folded up phoenix would look very odd.
the way too add a phoenixes would be to take out the lower internal bay and add pallets or recesses like on the MiG-31 but then there wouldnt be any stealth. The fuel tanks can be added externally on the real F-22 for ferrying.
Not to mention the AIM-54's were old and retired way before the F-14 was!

Benny

Supertom

Nuts.  Beaten to the punch again.  Looks good Benjo, keep up the good work!
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

GTX

Quote from: Supertom on June 09, 2009, 06:42:14 AM
Nuts.  Beaten to the punch again.  Looks good Benjo, keep up the good work!

You and me both.  Mind you I'm thinking of doing my 1/48th one as a 2 seater.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Sauragnmon

You could whif a new LRAAM concept in place of the Phoenix, if you wanted to be totally off the wall for idea here, Benny.

Swing-wing Raptor is a good step towards making it a little more beautiful...
Putty-fu, Scratch-jutsu and Bash-chi, the sacred martial arts of the What-If. Mastering them, is Ancient Chinese Secret.

Just your friendly neighbourhood Mad Scientist and Ship-whiffer.

Overkill? Nah, it's Insurance.  So are the 20" guns.

John Howling Mouse

Hey, Philp, maybe we can add a new category to the Whiffies: the "Why didn't I think of that?!" category for concepts like Benjo's here that slap you in the face because they're so perfect.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

philp

Quote from: John Howling Mouse on June 09, 2009, 05:13:27 PM
Hey, Philp, maybe we can add a new category to the Whiffies: the "Why didn't I think of that?!" category for concepts like Benjo's here that slap you in the face because they're so perfect.

Because the nominations for it would be huge...
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies