2009 Hill AFB Air Show

Started by philp, June 07, 2009, 12:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philp

Hill is finally having an Open House after 3 years and today it was on the 65th anniversary of D-Day.  My daughter and I ventured north for her first airshow (she is 11) and she seemed to have a good time.  Lots of flying but we left before the Thunderbirds performed as I wanted to avoid the crowd leaving the base.

Here are a couple of pics and the rest can be seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/modelphil/2009HillAirShow#

Some of the flying:

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

And some of the static displays:

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

How about a couple girls with guns:

These young ladies seemed to know just what to do with a machine gun.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

And finally, some fat guy got in between the planes and my daughter when she was trying to take some pics:

Don't you just hate that.  The crowd was pretty big all day making it hard to get good shots of the static birds.  They said they are expecting over 400,000 people to visit over the two day period.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Nick

Wonderful shots there! :tornado:

I'm surprised they let the crowd wander up to the aircraft like that, every airshow I've ever been to there's been a fence to keep you away from them.

Was that the Collins Foundation F-4 Phantom?

Scooterman

LOVE that SAR painted Dakota! :wub:

Captain Canada

Sweet. My fave is that Dak as well. Any more pics of it ? Just beautiful. Quite the collection of nose aret as well ! Was the one a Trojan ? And was that 7.62 mounted on a CDN Griffon ? Looks like it !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Taiidantomcat

"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

B777LR

Quote from: Captain Canada on June 07, 2009, 07:53:41 AM
And was that 7.62 mounted on a CDN Griffon ? Looks like it !

Looks like any old UH-1 variant to me. How did you recognise it as a RCN?

philp

Sorry guys, the UH-1N is a US version.  We don't get any Canadian planes down for this show unlike Big Sky Day we used to have at Malmstrom.  Always good selection of Canadian craft showing up.

The Dakota is a Turbo version as used by the California Fire Dept for Smoke Jumpers.  I got a grundle of pics of it during the last visit 3 years ago.  Will try to dig them up and repost them for you.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

philp

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Brian da Basher

Thanks for posting those shots, Phil! Sounds like you and your daughter had a great time! Airshows are fun for the whole family!
Brian da Basher

P.S. Your daughter looks really serious in that shot aiming the gun...I hope I never get on her bad side. ;)

philp

Thanks guys.

The gal manning the mini isn't mine.  She just happened to be there when I was trying to get the pic of the gun  :thumbsup:

Here is my daughter checking an ejection seat at the Hill Aerospace Museum the same day.

Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

jorel62

Thanks for the pics......... :thumbsup: