De-static-ing canopies?

Started by John Howling Mouse, June 06, 2009, 12:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Yeah, I know it's not a proper word.
For my last few projects, I have attached the canopy to the fuselage prior to painting so I could get a really good blend (especially on kitbashed subjects).
I end up with those tiny but noticeable bits of plastic stuck to the inside of the canopy.  As annoying as a JMN.

Is there any know way to sort of "degauss" the static charge from the outside?  If I use something that has a lot of static already in it (like one of those synthetic feather dusters or a godforsaken styrofoam packing peanut), will it repel the static charge inside of the canopy?

Or has anyone tried this only to find it made things worse?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

frank2056

Bad in the Age of Dinosaurs, there were these little "static guns" that audiofiles used to shoot over their records to make them sound better. They may still be available - try one. And old style air ionizer may help as well.

PR19_Kit

Doing the 'Kleer Soak' routine works for me.

Then the itty bitty bits of plastic don't come into direct contact with the canopy material itself and fall back into their original hiding place, wherever that may be.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nev

Quote from: frank2056 on June 06, 2009, 01:54:54 PM
Bad in the Age of Dinosaurs, there were these little "static guns" that audiofiles used to shoot over their records to make them sound better. They may still be available - try one. And old style air ionizer may help as well.

We have them at work to de-static glassware going on the balance.  Personally, I think they are a complete waste of time and of no use whatsoever.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

John Howling Mouse

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 07, 2009, 02:50:13 AM
Doing the 'Kleer Soak' routine works for me.

Then the itty bitty bits of plastic don't come into direct contact with the canopy material itself and fall back into their original hiding place, wherever that may be.

All my canopies are triple-coated inside and out with Future/Kleer.  I'm starting to think that stuff actually ATTRACTS plastic and dust!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

sequoiaranger

Once the canopies are sealed to the fuselage, it's too late. I always blow out the fuselage with computer air cans from as many directions as possible before sealing in the canopy.
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: sequoiaranger on June 08, 2009, 11:43:29 PM
Once the canopies are sealed to the fuselage, it's too late. I always blow out the fuselage with computer air cans from as many directions as possible before sealing in the canopy.

Now THAT sounds like a good idea!

Odd about the Kleer business though, it's been standard practice for some time on my modelling bench and always seems (seemed...?) to do the job.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit