USAF Tornado WHIF: ZR 640019

Started by Mossie, June 05, 2009, 08:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

At the risk of thread hijacking, whats the story behind the ADV Tonka?

***added image and split this portion of the discussion into a separate topic***
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

tigercat2

tigercat2

The Black Tornado was just something I threw together and slapped some USAF decals on it; it just happened to be in the photo with the Arado.   Back story is that the USAF purchased several squadrons worth for use, perhaps as a reciprocal action for the RAF purchasing F-111Ks.

Will attempt to get more photos of the Arado; I replaced the 6 original (Jumo?) engines with two large fan jets; I assumed in this what if world that Fan Jet technology was more advanced in the 50s that in our time line.  Besides, I had a set of engines from a semi-scrapped A-10 that I thought would look good.

Wes W.

Jeffry Fontaine

I thought it was a reconnaissance version of the Tornado in USAF markings at first glance since you were using the "ZR" tail code for Zweibrucken, GE which was the home of the 26th Tactical Reconnaissance Wing from 01.31.1973 – 07.31.1991. 

I suppose the Tornado could have been adapted to the tactical reconnaissance role once the guns were removed to make space for the SLAR system.  Add an IR system in the belly along with a couple of vertical and oblique camera ports added on just under the intakes displacing some of the avionics and fuel to other locations on the airframe.   
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

B777LR

jcf

'Twas one of those coulda beens, a published whif from 1979:

Jon

Mossie

Looks good in black!  Part of the reason I asked was because I've been meaning for a while to a version of the Tornado in Jon's article & I started a thread some time ago.  I will get around to it eventually, just a matter of time.

Thread here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,15027.0/highlight,usaf+tornado.html

And some profiles here:
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,18043.0/highlight,usaf+tornado.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Maverick

Jeffry,

There is a recce variant of the Tornado fielded by the RAF.  The GR.1A with linescan, cameras, etc.

Regards,

Mav

tigercat2

Thanks for the kind words on the Tornado.  When I built it several years ago, I did not realize it was an ADV; I just grabbed it from the Stash to build as a USAF bird for the What if world.  Some other non-US fighters operated by the USAF in this particular What if World are the EE Lighning, Draken, Viggen, MiG-23, MiG-29, Lansen, and a few others.  I have photos, if there is any interest.  Also in this particular What if World are Navy birds operated by the USAF; F-8, A-5, A-4, F2H and a few others. 

Wes W.

B777LR

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Maverick on June 05, 2009, 04:47:05 PM
There is a recce variant of the Tornado fielded by the RAF.  The GR.1A with linescan, cameras, etc.

Current Recce Tonkas are GR4As, although it's tough to tell them if you're not directly in front of them. The GR4 variants have two undernose IR/laser guidance pods whereas GR1s only have one. 

All Tornadoes have IFR capability too, albeit with probes rather than US style sockets. ADV Tonkas have permanent retractable probes on the port side and strike Tonkas have removable ones scabbed onto the starboard side. No, I have no idea why they should be different, but  they are.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Mossie

Another way to tell the variants apart is the cannon armament, again, not always easy unless you can see them from both sides.  The the GR.1 had two Mausers, the GR.1 had one, the port side cannon being replaced by recce gear.  The GR.4 has a single Mauser, which you can tell apart from the GR.1A due to the extra IR pod Kit mentioned.  The GR.4A has no cannon armament.

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 06, 2009, 03:51:45 AM
Quote from: Maverick on June 05, 2009, 04:47:05 PM

Current Recce Tonkas are GR4As, although it's tough to tell them if you're not directly in front of them. The GR4 variants have two undernose IR/laser guidance pods whereas GR1s only have one. 

All Tornadoes have IFR capability too, albeit with probes rather than US style sockets. ADV Tonkas have permanent retractable probes on the port side and strike Tonkas have removable ones scabbed onto the starboard side. No, I have no idea why they should be different, but  they are.

Tornado IDS was a compromise between RAF (longer range) and Luftwaffe/AMI (shorter range) requirements, hemce the removeable IFR probe and optional fin tank (not fitted in German/Italian airacraft.

Tornado ADV was to a purely British requirement and so no compromise was neccessary. Also the ADV's longer fuselage and different radar setup made more room for a retractable probe.

It's a shame the ADVs are being scrapped: if the RAF had more money, they could be very useful as SEAD/Recce aircraft, since they have more fuel than the IDS, more speed (better fineness ratio) and  more powerful engines, which would allow them to lift the RAPTOR pod higher. F.3s operated as improvised SEAD aircraft in Iraq in 2003 with ALARMs on GR.1 fuselage pylons.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

tigercat2

Quote from: B787 on June 05, 2009, 10:36:13 PM
Oh yes, can we see them all? :wub: :thumbsup:

Here are some of the photos; some have appeared before.  These are totally What Ifs, but that is the fun of this forum; no rules, just right!!

Wes W.

PR19_Kit

Rules? What's a rule?  :lol:

That USAF Draken is a cracking little thing, nice one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit