Le Prieur rockets

Started by NARSES2, June 03, 2009, 01:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

We were talking about these at the recent SIG meet and at the time none of us were certain how they were fired, we thought electrically but you can imagine the type of answers you got at that bash  ;D My fav involved a trained monkey and a box of Swan Vesta's  :banghead:

Anyway I've confirmed they were fired electrically from a switch in the cockpit but I still can't see from any pictures where the wires ran to/from ? Were they on the wing outer surface or in the wing structure and then down the struts ? Help would be appreciated.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Jeffry Fontaine

Le Prieur rocket. article from Wikipedia. 

Le Prieur Rockets discussion from The Aerodrome Forum. 

Le Prieur Rockets from First World War.com - Encyclopedia. 

Yves Paul Gaston Le Prieur (1885 - 1963)The Pioneers : An Anthology. 

Most of the descriptions and discussions on this subject appear to have left out that detail. 

Since the aircraft wings and structure were predominately of a doped linen covering a wooden frame, I would suppose that it would be a relatively easy task to open up the wings where the wiring needed to be threaded through and then reseal and dope the sections where the cuts had been made for this work.  If there were better images of the wings on these machines to show that this work had been performed it would be easy to spot as the freshly painted areas but most of the images showing the aircraft with the weapons mounted are at a distance and angle to preclude careful analysis of the wing and attached weapons. 
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

NARSES2

That's right Jeff - the photo's I've seen only show the rockets attached to the struts, nothing else
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Perhaps the cockpit switch fired a capacitor attached to a vital part of the gunner, who then crawled out on the wing with a big match and lit the blue touch paper.............?  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Its far more likely that the wires were simply led across the surface of the wing, possibly covered with a strip of
linen that was doped down, and then led up the strut.

If fled through the wing structure the penetration would be minimal (as small a hole as possible) and
not likely to be visible on photos.

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on June 05, 2009, 12:02:45 PM
Its far more likely that the wires were simply led across the surface of the wing, possibly covered with a strip of
linen that was doped down, and then led up the strut.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to I must admit