Model RR stuff and Whiffing!!!!

Started by Cobra, June 02, 2009, 09:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cobra

Hey guys, Has Anyone ever used Model Rail Road Building,Etc. for a WHIF? just Curious. By RR Stuff,i'm talking HO or Maybe O Scale. Thanks for looking.

Daryl J.

Haven't done it but have certainly thought of using that genre for Whiffery, especially the early steam stuff.

PR19_Kit

As British N scale is 1/148 some of the stuff on the market can be used for 1/144 scale aircraft or armour whiffs. I haven't  actually done that as yet, but I did build a sawn-off airport terminal, complete with Gatwick style people-movers to act as a display base for an airliner show some years ago.

As for why British N scale is 1/148 and the rest of the world's N scale is 1/160, it's a VERY long and complex issue, none of which need concern us here in Whiffland........
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

1:87 is a neat scale for building truck models; there is a big range of aftermarket parts available that can be used to whiff them.

Mossie

OO is pretty good for 1/72 diorama's.  It's actually 1/76, but it's near enough, many old figure & vehicle models were OO, even if they might say 1/72 on the box.  Airfix's range of '1/72' vehicles are actually OO, there's plenty of others too.

HO is 1/87 & as Hobbes mentions, can be pretty useful.  Might look a little odd if you mix some items, but things that aren't really standard sizes like buildings & foliage & such.

Wiki has a good guide on Railway Scales & there actual scales:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_modelling_scales
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Captain Canada

I'm another one who's thoght of it but never actually done it. Always wanted to do a pair of Harriers in a barn.

:thumbsup:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Weaver

Yep - first whiff I built on here had 1/87th traffic cone tops as missile seekers..... ;D

There's loads of good stuff: check out Preiser in particular.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Morpheus in Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones '

Doc Yo

not for Whiffs per se, but I have used a few of the construction and accessory sets out there for SF scratches
and bashes...and Glencoe's recent re-issue of a number of their old small-scale kits, which include a number
of steam locomotives, offer some interesting possibilities.

puddingwrestler

My never completed N gauge layout is a Whiff - it's a totally fictional railway in England which mainly exists to serve Spoforth's Spratts, Sardines and Sundry SeaFoods. I never completed it; but one corner of the layout featured the workshop of Porfessor Knitt-Pickerington, mad scientist by appointment, along with the launching rails of 'Glamourous Gladys', his rocket ship (which was to be crashed into the fish and chip shop on the high street). I built the rocket, not the buildings. And most of the other buildings where scratchbuilt.
There are no good kits, bad kits or grail kits, just kitbash fodder.

Brian da Basher

My girlfriend's step-dad has a really nice N scale layout. I've been tempted to build a 1/144-ish airliner in RR livery (maybe the Pennsylvania RR) for him as a gift. I imagine I can get N scale RR livery no problem.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

Jeffry Fontaine

There are a lot of useful parts in the MRR hobby that can be used for modeling.  It really depends on the scale you are working with since some of the items are rail road specific and would look out of place on an modal airplane but right at home on a tank or ship model.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Brian da Basher on June 04, 2009, 02:00:59 PM
My girlfriend's step-dad has a really nice N scale layout. I've been tempted to build a 1/144-ish airliner in RR livery (maybe the Pennsylvania RR) for him as a gift. I imagine I can get N scale RR livery no problem.

Brian,

Nice one!  :lol:

A DC9 in Pennsy maroon with the gold pinstripes would look awesome!

I expect you'd need HO 'Pennsylvania' titles though as the N scale ones may be a tad small for an airliner fuselage. Microscale sheet 87-891 looks about right. You could put BIG keystones on the fin too!  ;D

It would look good with spats as well.......  -_-
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Brian da Basher

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 05, 2009, 04:15:49 PM
Quote from: Brian da Basher on June 04, 2009, 02:00:59 PM

Brian,

Nice one!  :lol:

A DC9 in Pennsy maroon with the gold pinstripes would look awesome!

I expect you'd need HO 'Pennsylvania' titles though as the N scale ones may be a tad small for an airliner fuselage. Microscale sheet 87-891 looks about right. You could put BIG keystones on the fin too!  ;D

It would look good with spats as well.......  -_-

Many thanks, Kit! Because of your tip, I've already sourced some promising decals which are very reasonable. I had no idea Microscale did RR liveries too.
:cheers:
Brian da Basher

PR19_Kit

Brian,

AFAIK Microscale started off with armour decals, then went to railroad stuff and eventually ended up in the real true modelling world of aviation. [Guaranteed to get me buckets of hate mail from armour modellers I bet  ;D :lol:]

Quite where the Superscale bit came into it I'm not sure, but whatever they make it's all quality stuff.

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 07, 2009, 02:55:04 AM
Brian,

AFAIK Microscale started off with armour decals, then went to railroad stuff and eventually ended up in the real true modelling world of aviation. [Guaranteed to get me buckets of hate mail from armour modellers I bet  ;D :lol:]

Quite where the Superscale bit came into it I'm not sure, but whatever they make it's all quality stuff.

IIRC MicroScale started with RR subjects in the '60s then expanded into the other markets.
The non-RR lines were spun off as Superscale, with MicroScale retaining the RR stuff
and being the production house for all lines. Superscale was later re-absorbed.